Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2016 03:00

Problem with Dell Latitude E5450 14" screen

Hello!

I have just purchased a Dell Latitude E5450 14" and I am having some problems with its screen.

It is a matte IPS full hd screen and after using it just for a few hours i had enormous eye strain- happened for the first time in my life (my eye sight is just fine btw). I did calibration and tests and adjustments and updated dell drivers... Still I have enormous eye strain.
(back home i also own viewsonic matte ips 23" monitor and never had problem with looking at it for hours)

The only thing I can definitely say is that I think the screen has sharpness issues based on:

www.lagom.nl/.../sharpness.php

it fails this test miserably and according to this test, the sharpness is too low. Could this be causing my eye strain and if yes, is there any way to improve that??

I am surprised that my 8 year old Dell Inspiron 13" almost passed this test perfectly.

Also I find the colors on Latitude screen too saturated.. And I have the feeling there is too much magenta or even blue...

Did anyone have same or similar problems? I really like my new Latitude but I don't see the point in keeping it if I cannot use it more then 2 hours per day...

Any help is really appreciated!

April 4th, 2016 04:00

I forgot to mention that I have an integrated graphic card - Intel HD Graphics 5500

Upon reading Intel forums, I found out that one user was complaining about the same thing, but after apparently updating his drivers (on Lenovo ThinkPad). When he reinstalled the old drivers, the eye strain was gone.

So I disabled my Intel Graphics drivers - e voila, no more eye strain!

Still though, that sharpness test is failing....

Any thoughts?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 4th, 2016 06:00

Disabling the video driver reduces the resolution, at of course a cost: a fuzzier screen.

It sounds like your eyes aren't comfortable with FHD on this relatively small screen - you really have two choices:  return the system and order a new one with a 1366X768 screen, or use an external monitor.  Notebook LCDs are not desgined to run at multiple resolutions - if you lower the resolution of the screen, you will sacrifice clarity and sharpness.

April 4th, 2016 06:00

Hey, thank you for your comment

After disabling my Intel 5500 drivers i put screens resolution back to full HD. And i don't have any eyestrain

Before disabling the drivers, I tried every resolution possible on the laptop and still had eyestrain

Two more things. Beside obvious driver problem, my screen has bad sharpness according to www.lagom.nl/.../sharpness.php and second, I did PWM test and it seems that the screen itself has serious PWM. I see separated vertical lines; Frame Rate: 20 fps, Refrashe Rate ? Hz, Pixels Per Frame 16, Pixels per Sec 304

www.testufo.com

So partially I believe it's the drivers and partially it's the screen

I don't have any of these issues on my old Dell Inspiron (sharpness almost as it should be in the test, almost no PWM with 60fps and 900 pix per sec)

I thinking of returning this laptop.. I am so disappointed....

1 Message

October 5th, 2016 11:00

Dear sleeplessoul!

I think I have the same issue, purchased a laptop with FHD resolution (TN panel) and experienced headaches and eyestrain.

What was your final solution?

No Events found!