Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 11th, 2014 13:00

Problem with Laptop Hinge no longer working

Hello all, I have owned a laptop which I purchased direct from Dell for just under a year now and today while opening the screen section the right hinge stop working making it very difficult to open, I have it open but decided to leave it open just in case of damage, this is most defiantly some kind of failure in the hinge component, I have just contacted Dell in the UK whi state warranty does not cover this? surely this component should last for years or at least the warranty period! I have lost a lot of Faith in Dell over this!

What are my options please ?

Best regards and thanks for any idea`s

Mike 

October 12th, 2014 04:00

No idea`s ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 12th, 2014 05:00

The warranty will cover the repair unless there's sign of external damage (such as from a drop or fall.  If there is external damage, it likely won't be covered other than if the system has a Complete Care insurance plan.

October 12th, 2014 07:00

Hello, there is no external damage as it was not dropped the hinge appears to of just failed but however much I explain they do not seem to understand or want to know! if an engineer come out he would clearly see its not been dropped of some kind of accidental damage etc.

My faith in the brand Dell has completely been lost through this!

Thanks for your reply

Much appreciated

mrix

October 12th, 2014 10:00

I will ring again tomorrow and then see where I stand legally.

Best regards

mrix

October 13th, 2014 04:00

Finally managed to get through to someone today who was more understanding! :emotion-1:

I still had to take photo`s of the laptop and run diagnostic tests on the laptop which all passed and an engineer is coming out tomorrow if they have the part to replace.

A little faith restored in Dell

Best regards

mrix

p.s I will keep you updated.

October 17th, 2014 08:00

Finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, the engineer come out today, it was a pretty big job because so much had to come off to remove the screen unit, the guy was not really used to taking so much off and had never worked on this model before so it was pretty much reading instructions from his own laptop.

As he was new to this he was a little awkward and my concern was that he may put lots of scratches all over it, we like to keep everything scratch free in our family, maybe a little OCD so I was sweating.

Anyway New screen fitted but now many of the keyboard keys no longer work:emotion-7: if I am to be honest there was a few sticky keys before the hinge issue but now I have rows of keys that no longer work:emotion-6:

I have contacted Dell today who will be sending out an engineer on Monday to fix or replace the keyboard so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Only negative today was that the Engineer did put a small scratch to the side of the keyboard but I can live with that.

Finally Dell come good which I am pleased / relieved about.

Cheers all

mrix 

October 29th, 2014 14:00

Hello all, just a final update to say I finally managed to get the laptop issues resolved.

Huge thanks to Dell where my faith has been restored 110%

Best regards

mrix

No Events found!