Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2010 21:00

Problem with Laptop Integrated Webcam on Vostro 2510

Hello, I hope someone can help me.  My webcam was working perfectly and now behaves very strangely.  The Webcam manager keeps popping up repeatedly.  I close it, and it pops up again, in quick succession.  Eventually, a message will pop up in the lower right corner, saying the usb device is not functioning properly, and then another one says that the device would perform better with a faster usb connection.  Click here for available ... etc.  Once I get to those messages, the webcam manager stops popping up, at least until I restart my computer after turn off or hibernate.

The webcam is built in!  Is there really a way for me to change the assignment to a different internal usb port?

Lately I have not been able to use the webcam at all.  I have tried accessing it through skype, and see only black (though the blue light at the camera does turn on).  I have also tried acquiring an image from the webcam via Paint.NET (a graphics program).  That didn't work, either.

For some reason, when I do try to use Skype with video, I get Live! Cam Virtual.  I do not select that EVER.

Is there a more recent driver I need?

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Carol

1 Message

February 2nd, 2011 07:00

I have the exact same problem.  Is there a fix for this?

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 11:00

I never did find a software fix.

The video camera stopped working altogether so I had it replaced by Dell.  My laptop is still under warranty.  The replacement web cam worked for a while, but the same thing happened again.  The next time, Dell replaced the web cam and also the cable to the computer.  It has been working well since then.

Evidently, Dell tries the simplest fix first.  If that doesn't work, the next simplest fix is tried.  In the long run this may be more cost-effective, but it takes a bit of playing around if your own problem turns out to need the complex fix.

Carol

No Events found!