Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

31 Posts

August 8th, 2008 11:00

Problem with Memory Card Reader on Inspiron 1720

I was trying to use the memory card reader on my Inspiron 1720 with a Kingston 1 GB SD card.  When I insert it, I get the "bing-bong" (or whatever) noise that Windows makes when you insert a card like this or a USB flash drive, yet I do not see the card in Windows Explorer, nor do I see it in the Disk Management window.  When I take it out, Windows also seems to acknowledge its removal via the sound.  So it's like Windows is seeing it, but won't create a drive letter for it.  I've had this problem with USB drives and cameras and I believe it relates to Windows being too stupid to assign a drive letter due to leftover assumptions about what's a valid range of drive letters for local devices.  I have two hard drives, so they are C and D, then I have the DVD drive which is E.  That leaves all the "local" drive letters taken, with the assumption that F and above are network drives and Windows won't use those automatically (I think that's the story, at least).  So with the USB drives and the camera, I had to go into Disk Management and assign them a drive letter manually.  Now when I plug them in they work fine, but this is not working with the SD card.  It does not appear in Disk Management.  I have the latest Ricoh drivers, which seem to be the ones that control this, though Dell does not make this clear at all.  Any help with fixing this problem would certainly be appreciated.

29 Posts

August 8th, 2008 22:00

This sounds like a typical drive letter conflict - I came across another one just today.

Try altering the drive letters of the CD drive (I use X) and perhaps the second hard drive - this frees up a drive letter in the lower register of letters.

31 Posts

August 8th, 2008 23:00

Thanks, I'll try that.  I was surprised that it did not show up in Disk Management window.  If it had, I could just assign it some drive letter, as I did for my USB flash drives and camera.  But maybe it does not behave quite like they do - it uses different drivers, after all.

29 Posts

August 9th, 2008 13:00

On the case I saw recently two devices were sharing the same drive letter (E:) and Disk Management simply showed the one device with drive leter E:  However - when we changed the drive letter to X: it actually changed the drive letter of the new device sharing E: whose description was not being shown in Disk Management.

Good luck !

31 Posts

August 9th, 2008 17:00

Well, I got around to this and, indeed, it is now visible.  It took E, where my CD/DVD drive was before.  The Windows sound made me think it was being recognized, but not able to get a drive letter.  It's amazing that WinXP has such difficulty with this.  But then I've found M$ does not get a lot of things right despite their billions.
No Events found!