Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

March 18th, 2004 10:00

Problem with external PS/2 keyboard via USB-PS/2 converter

Hello,

Dear Forum, I need help!

I purchased D500 and found no PS/2 port.  (My OS is MS Win XP Home).

When I connect an external keyboard (HTK-2001) through "USB to Two PS/2 Converter",  my Dell goes crazy (even after installing the keyboard s/w came with it).

(The convertor is recognized by the system as "CHESEN convertor" - "the device is working properly" - no problem reported in Device Manager, the same is for the keyboard).

This is what then happens:

(a) the reaction of the keys slowes, suddenly stops at all, suddenly resumes, then stop again, (b) suddenly appears "key stuck" effect - letter running until pressing backspace, then OK, then again, etc., (c) MS Win key desabeled and ESC key reacts as MS Win key - opens the start menu  - on both keyboards, (d) CapsLock and Numlock keys stop and resume working on both keyboard on their own and light indicators do not match, (e) after a while the keyboard is stuck, PC slows down and a sound appears after  pressing any key.  After I reset and disconnect the external keyboard - everything is fine.

The keyboard and the converter work fine on another (older) desktop PC running under MS Win 2000.

I tried the troubleshooter and found nothing to help. Except for the "tiny" detail that keyboard HTK-2001 is not listed in the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) at the Microsoft Web site.

Any suggestions? Please help!

Boris.

3.2K Posts

March 28th, 2004 11:00

Make sure you know what you're buying before you put your money down. I don't think there is any fix for this problem. Not sure if a real USB keyboard will work on notebooks. But using a PS2 to USB converter is never a good idea. Now going the other way seems to work every time, I.E. USB to PS2.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2004 17:00

Thanks, I agree with u about this.
Using a PS2 to USB converter,
I already solved the problem by trying few different keyboard in a shop.
The simplest one works fine but not any "multimedia" or "office" keyboard.
I wonder just out of curiosity, why can it be with the convertor - specificly designed for this purpose?

I also wonder, how D500 owners were supposed (by Dell) to connect an external keyboard...

3.2K Posts

March 28th, 2004 19:00

I think those converters are made to convert a mouse from PS2 to USB. But i'm not sure. Yes you would think if it works for a mouse why won't it work for a keyboard.

When I looked at the newer models, just after I bought my i8200, this missing feature/connector popped right out at me. I said to myself "Well that's stupid why would anyone buy one of these. I'm glad I got the 8200".

I guess if you never planned to use a external keyboard it would be OK. There was also a model that didn't have a docking connector, I believe it's the same model. Now not everyone uses a dock station but it's a nice feature. Not on that model.

Message Edited by Ed C on 03-28-2004 04:56 PM

Message Edited by Ed C on 03-28-2004 04:58 PM

No Events found!