Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2016 23:00

Problem with latest Audio driver VR8Y0_WN32_6.0.1.7908_A03

I have a 2 months old Inspiron 7368. I have updated the driver because of cracking sound of the previous version. Now there is a new problem with the latest audio driver VR8Y0_WN32_6.0.1.7908_A03. When I plug in a cable in the combined audio in/out socket a dialog appears with options Speaker out, Dell Speaker out, Headset, etc. I choose SPEAKER OUT.

When I play audio there are no problems. But after the audio signal stops the driver switches off the line automatically 5 seconds afterwards. This causes incredibly strong noise in the PA system, to which the computer is connected. The noise continues even if I turn off the sound, so the only solution is to turn off the PA. You understand that this startles the audience, confuses me and creates a compete mess.

Please help, because I use the computer every day.

Best regards to you all.

20 Posts

November 30th, 2016 07:00

Dear Jim Coates,

I owe you a big "thank you" for the solution you suggested on October 14th. It was about bypassing the Realtek driver by a USB audio adapter. It works! I've been struggling  to solve the audio problem for three and a half months. I have visited 3 service centres and none has given me this suggestion. This forum has proved to be a reliable place for problem solving.

On Monday Nov. 28th I had the main board and speakers changed. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. With most audio cables the noise is constant, but I found a jack which cancels the noise when moved slightly. To me it means there is a design or factory defect as the ground of the audio port does not connect reliably to the ground of the 3.5 mm jack.

Today I bought a USB audio adapter (I didn't know they existed!) and the problem was solved. The audio port can still be used with earphones and low power speakers.

Thank you again for your suggestion, which saved me from having troubles in the future.

Best regards.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 14th, 2016 03:00

Hello. Test the audio driver by switching between the Realtek driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.

If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it might be a problem related to power management, rather than the Realtek driver. I don't know what power options are available on that model, but I would try to defeat any  power saving schemes.

But if the noise does not occur when using the native driver then maybe one of the other Realtek drivers would work correctly.

You have tried 2 of them, but there are 3 on the Inspiron 7363 html page so completely remove the current Realtek driver and install the remaining one. To remove the driver:

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
4. Click "uninstall."
5. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
6. Restart the laptop. Because you removed the Realtek driver files, Windows will install its native audio driver, named "High Definition Audio Device".
7. Go back to the Device Manager and look for "High Definition Audio Device". If you see "Realtek High Definition Audio" again, that means that there was another version of the Realtek driver on your hard drive, and Windows found and installed it. So  keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. At this point you can install an older Realtek driver.

There are also the options of downloading a driver directly from the Realtek site, and/or letting Windows Update find a driver. Sometimes Windows will install a version that is different from the ones offered by Dell.

If you are unable to resolve this problem but still need to use the laptop in your show, try using a usb audio jack. A usb jack, as with any usb audio device, bypasses the integrated Realtek audio system altogether.

20 Posts

October 16th, 2016 02:00

Dear Jim Coates,

Thank you for your prompt and very detailed reply. I am sorry I could not provide feedback earlier.

I have a 2-in-1 Inspiron 7368. I tried the steps you suggested, however it did not work as supposed.

Firstly, I changed the power management plan to High Performance and everything always on. This did not solve the problem.

After uninstalling and deleting the latest Realtek VR8Y0_WN32_6.0.1.7908_A03 driver, which creates noise, the Device manager showed a mark on a new entry - Intel High definition Audio, which I updated automatically. Windows downloaded and installed the same driver, which creates a permanent noise when idle.

I could not find the native audio driver. The compatible hardware list shows only Realtek Audio. The list of all devices shows companies from Altec to Yamaha but not the native High Definition Audio.

Then I downloaded and installed an older version: 3379_Audio_Driver_5NJGX_WN32_6.0.1.7838_A02. It was worse: it creates the same noise plus a loud crack before playing any sound.

The last resort was the oldest driver, which came originally with the laptop: Audio_Driver_DTTXT_WN32_6.0.1.7751_A00. It creates a loud crack before playing any sound, but at least does not make noise.

I have also tried a generic audio driver from Realtek: 0006-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279, but it did not work at all.

The noise, created by the latest 2 Realtek drivers is the same as touching the active wire of a cable connected to a PA. Touching the aluminium surface of the laptop increases the noise.

Obviously the problem is created by Realtek drivers. I hope they will solve it soon by another update.

I accidentally deleted Intel Display Audio driver, which was under Sound, video and game controllers and I could not find it. Would you kindly send me a link to download and install.

Best regards.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 16th, 2016 06:00

Intel Display Audio driver

That driver is for the audio portion of HDMI, for example if you connect the laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable, and want the audio to come out of the TV speakers. It is part of the graphics (video) driver, so re-install the graphics driver and you should get the Display Audio driver back. It ought to be this one.

I could not find the native audio driver.

Probably the Intel High Definition driver. Microsoft previously had named it just "High Definition Audio", but now might be adding the "Intel" brand name to it, which would make sense because High Definition audio is an Intel protocol -- it is an Intel specification that motherboard makers and audio chip makers have to follow.

For some reason, only the 2-in-1 models have a problem with the generic driver.

Touching the aluminium surface of the laptop increases the noise.

That could indicate a faulty ground. I would contact tech support and see what it has to say.

Obviously the problem is created by Realtek drivers.

6.0.1.7751_A00. It creates a loud crack before playing any sound

Here is what I have in my notes about that ("solutions" come from posts by the laptop owners):

Inspiron 13 7368 with Windows 10. Every time the computer gives an audio signal or starts playing an audio or video file there is a loud click and then the sound starts without the first second. Solution: update to Realtek 6.0.1.7908.

So perhaps the Realtek 6.0.1.7908 is not affecting all Inspiron 7368's the same way it does yours.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 30th, 2016 08:00

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

No Events found!