Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2014 22:00

Problem with my Audio (DELL Inspiron 15 3521)

Respected All, I buy Brand New Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop 2 months ago. It was working awesome. A few days ago the "Windows Updates Installed". and then I face problem in my Audio. When I start my Laptop, within 5 minutes  the Sound Stop working without giving me any message. When I Disable Audio and Enable again from "Device Manager", it starts working, and then it works till the computer shut down again. When I Shut Down my Laptop and start it again. the same problem occurs. I re-install Audio driver but the problem persists. Please help me out in this regard. 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 21st, 2014 05:00

There has been a recent Windows update that is causing widespread havoc with audio. I suggest first trying the solutions for that before trying other things. Here are the 2 solutions that forum members have reported so far.  

===========================================================================

1st POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Forum member countiss wrote that it is due to Microsoft....

"Update KB2962407, which that states it fixes "Shortened battery life when an idle audio device is not turned off on a computer running Windows".
You do not have to do a System Restore to get rid of the Updates; easier to go to Windows Update, View Update History. On the top of that screen, click on Installed Updates. Then just right-click the update you want to uninstall."

=============================================================================

2ND POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Forum member natakuc4 says that updating to Windows 8.1 will fix it. He wrote:

"If you are still on Windows 8.0. You should upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1. See the instructions here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/upgrading-to-windows-8-1-from-windows-8-0-via-the-microsoft-store/
Uninstall the audio and video drivers before the update. After the update uninstall the network and chipset drivers and get the Windows 8.1 (WB64A) drivers.."

You can get the drivers he mentions either from your model's support page after you select 8.1 as the operating system in the selection box, or you can get them from Dell's ftp server, where they are named "WB64A" and "WB32A", meaning 8.1 64-bit and 32-bit.

6 Posts

July 21st, 2014 10:00

Respected "Jim Coates -- senior forum member", 

I the 1st solution given to me, and I am pleased that my problem is FIXED. All credit goes to you sir, I Uninstall the Update "KB2962407", and my Audio is OK now.  I appreciate your work sir, Thanks a lot. 

Regards

M. Humayun

July 20th, 2014 23:00

I am also having this same issue.  A Dell tech support guy came to my house to fix this issue.  Within 5 min of him being here (today) the sound just starts working.  Then within 5 min of him leaving it stops working.  I am getting so frustrated over this!. If I find out HOW this can be fixed I will let you know.

Mel

1 Message

August 18th, 2014 10:00

I'd like to try solution #1.  Can you advise how I locate the Window updates??

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 18th, 2014 20:00

Type Windows Update into the search box, then click on the first item that comes up. When updates opens, click on "View update history", then "installed updates".

If you can't find the search box in Win 8 you might have to google for it. I don't have 8 and don't know where it is [in 7 you just click the Start button].

1 Message

September 17th, 2014 16:00

I have the same problem, but for some reason my "control panel" takes forever to load also my "updated history". Is there an alternate step to get into "updated history"?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 17th, 2014 20:00

my "control panel" takes forever to load also my "updated history". Is there an alternate step to get into "updated history"?

If you type Windows Update into the search box you can avoid going through the Control Panel. I don't know of another way to speed it up, but if your computer is generally more sluggish than it used to be then it might be time to perform a system recovery.

6 Posts

November 30th, 2014 05:00

Hello man,im having same problem in windows 7 and i cant see Update KB2962407.Can you help me to fix it please

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 30th, 2014 06:00

in windows 7 and i cant see Update KB2962407

Hello. That particular update was just for Windows 8, and it only affected laptops with Windows 8. Sorry for not making that clear earlier in this thread.

Please click the "New Post" button to start a new thread about your issue (it would be off-topic in this thread). Mention the full model name of your laptop, all of the symptoms you have noticed, how long you have had the problem, and what steps you have tried to fix it.

1 Message

December 20th, 2014 18:00

I have looked for this Update in my history and I'm not seeing it. The second suggestion in your original post was not very clear.

Thanks, 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 20th, 2014 19:00

The second suggestion in your original post was not very clear.

The second possible solution was to upgrade to Windows 8.1. The reason that would be a solution is because the bad update only applies to Windows 8.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2015 13:00

I had this issue with a friend's computer. The steps on this page are all good answers but they did not help me. I did a thorough scan for viruses and malware. Didn't find any. The speaker icon had a red disabled circle around it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the proper Dell audio drivers, did not help. The Windows Update in question was not present. The Dell Audio Application did not indicate a problem, nor did the Windows Device manager.

What did fix this issue was to repair Windows 7 itself. I did this by opening a Command Prompt from Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. Right click on this and "Run as Administrator". In this command window, run the following command:

sfc /scannow

To run System File Checker and allow to finish. When it did finish, I was told problems were found and fixed, a reboot was necessary. Rebooting the laptop showed "Windows is performing updates" and very quickly after reaching the desktop, the sound was restored. This System File Checker is built into Windows and can fix many problems with Windows itself. I hope that this will help others who just cannot seem to get this issue fixed.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2015 06:00

Hi jimco,

I'm running windows 8.1 64 bit and I am unable to find the update  KB2962407.

Im having the same audio issue since earlier on this week. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 31st, 2015 07:00

Hello to ohmster with a Windows 7 system and Jakeadell with a Windows 8.1.

The issue in this thread is a bad update for Windows 8 last summer, and it only affected laptops with Windows 8. Sorry for not making that clear earlier in this thread but the issue discussed here would not affect your laptops.

Ohmster thanks for posting your tip.

Jakeadell I will answer in the thread you started yesterday when I get a chance. Sorry for the delay.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2015 08:00

Hi Jimco,

Thanks for the reply and not a problem. But I think i managed to resolve the issue for Windows 8.1.

I didn't have to un-install any update. All i did was check the updates that needed to be updated and ran this one:

"Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Other hardware - AMD PSP 1.0 Device"

Installation date: ‎2015-‎01-‎31 10:47 AM
Installation status: Succeeded
Update type: Optional

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other hardware software update released in August, 2014

More information:
sysdev.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

Help and Support:
support.microsoft.com/select

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My audio is back on the laptop :) Will post back if i have any more issues!!

Thanks again
Jake

No Events found!