nmitchell
1 Copper

RE: Problem with my Audio (DELL Inspiron 15 3521)

Jump to solution

I have looked for this Update in my history and I'm not seeing it. The second suggestion in your original post was not very clear.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

The second suggestion in your original post was not very clear.

The second possible solution was to upgrade to Windows 8.1. The reason that would be a solution is because the bad update only applies to Windows 8.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
ohmster
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had this issue with a friend's computer. The steps on this page are all good answers but they did not help me. I did a thorough scan for viruses and malware. Didn't find any. The speaker icon had a red disabled circle around it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the proper Dell audio drivers, did not help. The Windows Update in question was not present. The Dell Audio Application did not indicate a problem, nor did the Windows Device manager.

What did fix this issue was to repair Windows 7 itself. I did this by opening a Command Prompt from Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. Right click on this and "Run as Administrator". In this command window, run the following command:

sfc /scannow

To run System File Checker and allow to finish. When it did finish, I was told problems were found and fixed, a reboot was necessary. Rebooting the laptop showed "Windows is performing updates" and very quickly after reaching the desktop, the sound was restored. This System File Checker is built into Windows and can fix many problems with Windows itself. I hope that this will help others who just cannot seem to get this issue fixed.

0 Kudos
jakeadell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi jimco,

I'm running windows 8.1 64 bit and I am unable to find the update  KB2962407.

Im having the same audio issue since earlier on this week. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

Hello to ohmster with a Windows 7 system and Jakeadell with a Windows 8.1.

The issue in this thread is a bad update for Windows 8 last summer, and it only affected laptops with Windows 8. Sorry for not making that clear earlier in this thread but the issue discussed here would not affect your laptops.

Ohmster thanks for posting your tip.

Jakeadell I will answer in the thread you started yesterday when I get a chance. Sorry for the delay.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
jakeadell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Jimco,

Thanks for the reply and not a problem. But I think i managed to resolve the issue for Windows 8.1.

I didn't have to un-install any update. All i did was check the updates that needed to be updated and ran this one:

"Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Other hardware - AMD PSP 1.0 Device"

Installation date: ‎2015-‎01-‎31 10:47 AM
Installation status: Succeeded
Update type: Optional

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other hardware software update released in August, 2014

More information:
sysdev.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

Help and Support:
support.microsoft.com/select

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My audio is back on the laptop Smiley Happy Will post back if i have any more issues!!

Thanks again
Jake

0 Kudos
Jojo0921
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Jake,

Where did you go to check the updates that needed to be updated?

0 Kudos
totoro_1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There was an update window 8.1 yesterday, and today I cannot hear anything from the inspiron 15. I am not computer savy and would really like to know how to fix this issue. thank you

0 Kudos
totoro_1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

inspiron 15, audio stop working. headphone works but not speaker. 

i read the various post, but I am not sure if i am doing the right thing, its very technical. if i reboot, will that fix the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
qammari143
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Here are some methods to fix the audio problem in your laptop.

1.check volume Setting

2.Test the Sound Devices

3.Update Audio Drivers

4.Install updated firmware (BIOS)

5.Hardware Problem

For Detailed article Visit

www.ithemesforests.com/.../

0 Kudos