Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2009 21:00

Problem with my laptop (dell registration popup window, freezing)

Every couple of days the Dell registration window pops up on my desktop, and then it freezes and just stays there on the screen. It has three options on it (register, decline or remind me later) But it never lets me do any of those things because it freezes and the only way to get the popup window to go away is to restart my computer. I have already registered my laptop. I just bought it recently too. I'm not sure what to do to get it to stop popping up and freezing on my screen. It still lets me do other things and it doesn't cause my computer to crash, its just stuck on my screen and won't go away until I restart my computer. It's really annoying, especially because I already registered my computer. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this annoying popup screen from Dell? Thanks. I am not sure exactly what program on my computer is responsible for the dell registration popup window. On the windows task manager it doesn't show a program for the popup window, or at least not an obvious name for the popup window, I don't want to just shut down programs randomly on the windows task manager.

9 Posts

July 18th, 2009 16:00

I have the same problem. I have not been able to resolve it. The folks at Dell seem to be clueless about what it is and how to fix it.

None of the buttons on this box function and it just stays there until you reboot.

Did you get the computer at Best Buy? I'm wondering if that has somthing to do with it.

1 Message

July 18th, 2009 18:00

Same problem with my desktop. Haven't been able to google a solution yet.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2009 20:00

I have the same problem with my Inspiron 545 that I bought from BestBuy... It's starting to get very annoying to reboot every couple of days to get rid of this registration screen.  I, too, have already registered my machine.

9 Posts

July 19th, 2009 09:00

Best Buy has told me that machines that are purchased through them are not serviced by Dell and that if i want the box removed I can bring the machine in and they will take it off for free.

What is concerning to me is that the service tag number, when entered into Dell's system indicates the machine was purchased outside of the USA. Best Buy thinks that is because of their agreement.

Best buy described the screen as part of some extra junk ware that comes on the machine. They have a service that will remove all of the junk ware - whatever that means.

Regardless this is annoying and unnecessary.

It doesn't make Dell or Best buy look very good as far as I'm concerned.

10 Posts

July 19th, 2009 15:00

I think I found a solution to the problem. I saw another forum that said this file is whats causing the problem. sprtcmd.exe. They told me to remove it as a startup program and it will stop coming up. I did that and so far I haven't had a problem. The other forum where I read how to do this is also in the dell forum.

Run: msconfig

Then go to the startup tab and uncheck supportsoft sprtcmd programs and it should work.

I did this a few days ago and so far I have not had the problem with the dell registration window. Hope that helps other people with the problem. Post if it works for you.

10 Posts

July 19th, 2009 15:00

Yes, I bought this computer from bestbuy, but the program that is causing the problem is a dell program.

9 Posts

July 19th, 2009 17:00

It may be a Dell program, but may also be mal functioning because it was a Best Buy purchase and the agreement that they have.

I'm pretty sure my local Best Buy isn't outside the USA as Dell suggests.

Tried the startup thing, and my computer doen't allow me to disable that startup program. The button to disable stays ghosted.

July 20th, 2009 09:00

Okay here's what I did and it resolved the issue -

Open up the tak manager by hitting CTRL ALT DEL

Click on the processes tab

look for "b contexe*32" which should be there if you have this annoying popup

DELETE THIS PROCESS

Go to RUN and type "msconfig"

When the window comes up click on the startup tab

Find and uncheck a box called supportsoft

reboot and enjoy.

9 Posts

July 20th, 2009 09:00

Well my computer doesn't have  "b contexe*32" or anything remotely like it.

And even if it did there isn't a place to delete it.

July 20th, 2009 10:00

how about dwm.exe or wmdsync.exe

9 Posts

July 21st, 2009 14:00

no on both counts

July 21st, 2009 22:00

Same problem, Inspiron 1545.  I tried severa of the suggestions here and I think that sprtcmd.exe was the problem too. I unchecked it and so far the window hasn't popped back up. Not a best Buy problem, a Dell problem.

July 21st, 2009 22:00

Thought I might add this item I found at http://victorcab.blogspot.com/2008/10/sprtcmdexe.html.

sprtcmd.exe

Dell installs this program for the Dell Support Center. and when you go to reboot now I have to end now on

Sprtcmd.exe. The computer will hang unless you end now as soon as it comes up when you are trying to

shutdown or restart.

Here's someone with the same problem and what they did to uninstall.

Problems with this darn Dell Support program, and for the first time I can actually help.
Said another program had "exclusive rights" or something of that order. Here is how I got around it. Press

Control, Alt, and Delete and call up the Task Manager. Select the "Processes" tab, and hunt down the

*** "sprtcmd.exe". You will find it! Click the header to row to sort by name. It is in that list. Select it

with the mouse and choose END PROCESS button down at the bottom right of the screen. NOW that that

stupid thing is ended, do your thing with the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and it WILL (did for me)

un-install and all of your problems will be gone.

9 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 07:00

What I don't understand is that I have this program but no way to "uncheck" it anywhere. And by the way I see this program listed twice.

I can end the process but it doesn't do anything, it simply restarts again when I reboot.

July 22nd, 2009 09:00

OK. Go to START>RUN and type in "msconfig" without the quotation marks. Click on the Startup tab and you will see both of the "supportsoft" processes listed (This confused me also). As you pass the cursor Pointer over the item you will see a description and the one you want to stop is "supportsoft sprtcmd". I don't understand why you do not see a box with a check in it in front of this item because it should be there but I can't see your display.  You can also go to "Add Remove Programs" and uninstall the Dell Support Center which is where I have been informed that this little nuisance problem sprtcmd.exe is located. You may have to kill the process in Task Manager before it will uninstall. By the way the file is in both C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center AND IN C:\Program Files\\Dell\DellComms. I haven't had the problem reoccur yet but it may be that both of these must be deleted.

No Events found!