Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

September 3rd, 2012 03:00

Problem with network adapters

Heyy,

I am having a studio 1555 laptop with windows 7 installed on it. It was working fine till yesterday, when i could not connect to neither to my broadband connection (through lan port), nor  to a wireless ad-hoc network. 

So i tried to troubleshoot the problem, which shows that there might be the following two problems:

1) There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter

2) There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter

I tried uninstalling and re-installing all the network drivers, but that didn't help.

I ran the hardware tests ( Fn key + boot) and all the tests showed "pass". so i dont think there is a problem with any hardware.

Basically i cant connect to any network now ( ethernet , wifi or through a dongle ).

Please, if someone can help on the matter!

3.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Which Antivirus do you have on your computer. If you use Mcafee then refer to the below link.

en.community.dell.com/.../19462972.aspx

Thank you.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

No....i am using microsoft security essentials 64 bit.

And i am using it for about a year now, so i dont think that should be causing the problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

utsuk,

Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the information back here.

Rick

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 22:00

As per your suggestion, i tried turning off my routers and then turning them on, and then restarting my system.

But even then i was not able to connect to either of the networks.

As far as the second solution concerns :

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the information back here.

I could not find where i can access this option and get the information.

Further, i tried restoring my computer to an earlier time, but that also didnt help me.
I borrowed a USB internet dongle also to check , and it seems i can not connect to that also! :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 4th, 2012 06:00

utsuk,

You tried using a USB wireless qadapter and could not connect, correct? If yes, then the problem is with the wireless router or the isp modem/router. I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

If you cannot connect, can you plug the ethernet cable in adn see if you can connect?

Rick

4 Posts

September 4th, 2012 06:00

i dont have that USB wireless adapter as of now, but as you asked, when i plug the ethernet cable, it doesn't show any detected network.

To clarify things, i would also like to tell that i tried connecting my laptop with another laptop through their LAN ports through an ethernet cable, but it couldn't identify even this network!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 5th, 2012 15:00

utsuk,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Do you have McAfee installed?

Can you run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

October 6th, 2012 22:00

I have having this EXACT SAME ISSUE.  I have been on the phone for 2 hours with Dell Support.  We tried everything from installing/reinstalling drivers for the Network (twice), checking if the connection works in Safe Mode (which it does not), and tried a Hardware test (which everything passed).  The Support person on the phone told me that we have run out of options and the only way to fix this is the reinstall the operating system to have the computer back to its factory settings like it is a brand new empty computer (which means all my files would be gone.)  I have not done the reinstalling operating system at this time because I would like a second opinion.

To clear things up, I have a Dell XPS 8300 Desktop with Windows 7 OS at 64-bit.  I purchased in September 2012.  From then on, I was able to connect to the internet just fine until today.  Every other devise in my home has wireless and wired access to the internet through my home network connection but this desktop.

I have AVG 2012.  AVG kept showing me a popup window for the past few days during my computer starting up.  It said something about needed to verify a unsigned driver for the AVG software or "it may not work properly", but the only option was to close the popup window with no way to tell how to fix the issue.  I would still have a connection to the internet so I went about my business without another thought. 

If I had an internet connection at startup right now, the popup would return and I could tell you the exact file name, but since I have no connection I cannot do this.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVG and at the last connection-successful restart for AVG 2013.  After restarting as it prompted to finish the installation, I encountered the same issue UTSURK is having after trouble shooting:

"There may be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection adapter."

There may be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter."

Two hours of support later, I have gone nowhere but the ERASE EVERYTHING AND START OVER option that all Dell Support people say when they are stumped.  I would really like a second opinion on this before starting over on this machine.  Please get back to me as soon as possible.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 7th, 2012 16:00

manderzwdim,

Make a system restore point, then start, control panel, AVG, uninstall.

Restart your computer. he try using the AVG Removal tool.

Restart the cmputer one more time and try to connect.

What happens?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

October 7th, 2012 17:00

I did do a system restore point.  For 3 days ago (which was when the unsigned driver error message first started), so when I restored back to that time, I still had no internet connection regardless.  AVG 2012 is still there and not changed, but I cannot fully uninstall it with the AVG Remover Tool because I need to go to the AVG site and download it USING AN INTERNET CONNECTION which I do not have.

Restoring back to 3 days ago did not change my internet connection issues.  Also, when going cmd.exe, and typing in "ipconfig" as the Dell Support person told me to do, I am suppose to see an IP address, but the only options I see are labeled "media disconnected" with no IP address or numbers showing.

No Events found!