Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2016 23:00

Problems with Dell USB-C (DA200) to HDMI/VGA/RJ45/USB3 adapter

Hi all,

I guess I am kind of desperate at 1:45 am haha...

I just got my XPS 13 9350 and it is awesome. I ordered the DA200 USB-C to USB3/RJ45/VGA/HDMI adpater. Unfortunately I am experiencing a few problems with the device. They are listed below:

1) plugging in, computer does not recognize the device. If I right-click and uninstall in Device Manager and do a "scan for new hardware", it works again - but not for long.

2) The device and the Realtek gigabit portion connect and reconnect every second in device manager and that is annoying.

3) Disabling the wireless card/connection seems to actually help the device connect and it works at 100%. ONLY when the wireless card is disconnected.

Basically, windows is having a real hard time keeping this adapter connected...almost like it can't recognize it. I tried installing the device drivers for the adapter - nothing. I updated all the thunderbolt firmware from Dell (including chipset) and the BIOS...nothing. Same thing. If you do a google search, there are a few threads on this exact problem. There is a nice sized one on Reddit.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It is a real shame a beautifully designed and pricey adapter is not working with a Dell computer.

Thanks, AJ

44 Posts

June 25th, 2016 05:00

In another thread ("XPS 13 9350 - SSD on USB C 3.1 - very unstable/unusable" - I can't add links), the following fixed my XPS 13 9550 problem using a USB 3.0 HDD with the Dell USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB3.1 adapter:

... the USB-C and WiFi adapter are somewhat related hardware and voltage wise. If you go into the advance options of the WiFi adapter and change the WiFi output to 75%, it fixes a lot of the problems with the connecting and disconnecting USB-C issues. Lowering the output to 75% does not affect your connectivity on wireless networks. 

My HDD kept connecting/disconnecting when using the adapter but this fix took care of it. 

44 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 10:00

In Device Manager, in the Advanced settings for the device under Network Adapter, you want to change "Power Output" to 75%.

21 Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

Acvyse, you should not be taking credit for my original suggestion

June 6th: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982018

3 Posts

June 24th, 2016 12:00

Ditto.  I set up a customer with the XPS 13 9350, USB-c DA200 and even got her to buy a Dell display.  All firmware is updated and the HDMI refuses to maintain connectivity.  This single point of poor design (or manufacture) has turned a very nice, expensive computer setup into a complete hassle.  Shame on Dell.

44 Posts

June 25th, 2016 10:00

Doh!  Well, thanks for the fix on it!  Have you seen other issues with the WiFi card on the XPS 13?  I found that if Bluetooth is used - I used a Bluetooth mouse - that WiFi is terrible.  It would disconnect and speeds were terrible.  Turn off Bluetooth and no problems.

18 Posts

June 25th, 2016 10:00

Yep...that was the answer. How do I know? Because I gave the suggested answer on that thread. LOL :emotion-2:. Thanks SPARKSDLS!

-AJ

18 Posts

June 27th, 2016 07:00

Hey Spark,

I don't have any speed difference with bluetooth on vs. off. I usually don't use bluetooth as I find it completely unreliable. However, Bluetooth low power 4 is rather good...so it is changing my mind slowly. Haha.

AJ

44 Posts

June 27th, 2016 15:00

Seems to be a hit and miss thing, then.  I was seeing a lot of WiFi disconnects/reconnects and then came across a post somewhere where someone was having the same issues and the Dell rep recommended turning off Bluetooth;  I did and all of my disconnect issues went away.  I just tested it again and with Bluetooth off, my download speed was 76Mbps and with Bluetooth on, it was 4Mbps.

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 09:00

Can you give more info on the exact settings to change? I'm having the same problems but don't see anything that looks like WiFi output in my advanced options for the adapter. Thanks!

44 Posts

Sounds like it could be a faulty adapter.  The problem I was having was an intermittent USB connection so I knew the port was working.  But not detection at all (in Display Settings?) sounds like a potentially bad adapter.  Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the laptop's display adapter driver?

6 Posts

Thanks. I made the change and rebooted but unfortunately that didn't seem to help. I updated the BIOS yesterday while on my 2 hour support call - the adapter is now working for the ethernet and USB ports, but still not able to detect the external monitor via HDMI. Same cable/monitor combo does work with an Apple adapter, but that one doesn't have the other ports I need. Any further suggestions very welcome! (Dell support of course just says I need a new adapter.)

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 11:00

Actually it does detect the monitor in device manager and in control panel - I can see it appear and disappear when I plug and unplug the HDMI cable. And the second monitor appears as an option when I go to set up extended displays, but when I actually select any multiple monitor setting, it blacks out for longer than usual, and comes back without having saved the settings. It's not an especially new monitor, but as I mentioned the extended display does work ok with a different adapter... so it seems like an interaction between the two. 

1 Message

July 3rd, 2016 08:00

I have exactly same issue: impossible to project on a TV screen through the Dell Adapter and HDMI cable. It does detect it in the extended displays, but does not save settings. I have had same issue with 2 different monitors, and tried both HDMI and VGA cables.

18 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 10:00

Try upgrading the thunderbolt software and firmware from sell drivers.

21 Posts

July 4th, 2016 08:00

Acvyse,

No worries, I was just frustrated after I called DELL to suggest my solution and they just brushed me off when I did that. I have noticed that some people are getting this solution directly from Dell, so I hope you can understand.

Besides, I have since swapped this WIFI card out for the In Intel card and things got much better but there is still a problem even with this new WIFI card, has to do with Remote Desktop and display locking up during the RD session when the lid is closed or when display times out and turns off, randomly the RD session locks up.

Please people, do not send me suggestions to edit my Power Options and set what to do when I close lid, done that, makes no difference.

No Events found!