Highlighted
Not applicable

Problems with Vista, WMP, and Creative SB Audigy software

I have an ongoing audio problem that I can't seem to find an answer to. The computer is a Dell Inspiron E1505 w/ Vista Ultimate and a SigmaTel sound card. (detailed computer specs listed at end of post) I also have Creative Sound Blaster Audigy software installed. I actually have two problems, but I'll start w/ the first and main one.

The first problem looks to be pretty common now, and is that listed in this link...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=28DC8E40D7FC2B06E040A68F5B284B0F&doclang=en

Disabling enhancements DOES get rid of this problem, HOWEVER.. The only problem with doing this is that I then can't use my Creative SoundBlaster HD audio software and am limited to the graphic equalizer in WMP. I would prefer not to have to do this, the software makes a noticeable improvement in sound quality and it was not free.  None of the other things to try disabling helped either.

Now my other problem, which is currently of more urgence. This problem occurs when the Sound Blaster software is enabled. Every so often under random circumstances, I will bring the computer back out of standby and the sound quality is totally messed up. It's hard to describe, but it basically becomes really tinny and hollow sounding, w/ no bass... totally sounds like poop to me. As I said, it would only do this every once in a while and it typically happened if say, I put the computer in standby, then unplugged it, then resumed.. or some random combination of those involving removing A/C power. It used to be that I could just do a system restore to the last restore point and that would fix the problem. But the last time this happenend, all the restore points I tried failed, and now I'm stuck w/ either tinny, crummy sound (SB enabled), or disabling enhancements and just using the WMP equalizer!

I enjoy music a lot and am playing music on my computer all the time. I at least want to be able to use my software again, but if anyone knows anything about either of these problems, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Dell Insprion E1505
Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz (667 MHz FSB)
Crucial 2GB 667MHz dual-channel RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB
60GB 7200rpm SATA HD
Windows Vista Ultimate
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Problems with Vista, WMP, and Creative SB Audigy software

It's fixed!!  Everyone go download the new Sigmatel driver if you're still having these problems.  After putting up w/ this for a year, WMP finally runs flawlessly w/ the Creative SB Audigy software and enhancements enabled.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: Problems with Vista, WMP, and Creative SB Audigy software

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Jim

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos