Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2012 02:00

Problems with the Precision M4400 and the Nvidia quadro 770M

I have a problem with my Precision M4400 and Nvidia Quadro 770M. After I have installed Windows 7 64 bit, I have problems with the graphics card. I get blue screens or graphical errors. I've tried several driver versions. In the Nvidia forum had this problem even more. Here they told me that only a BIOS update of the graphics card to solve the problem. The BIOS update but I would have to refer by DELL. So my question is this problem with Dell is also known, and there is already a BIOS update to the Quadro 770M?

19 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hello All,

I may have find out the solution by chance. I was looking for the latest GeForce drivers for Windows 7 x64 and I read the release note: http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/337.88/337.88-win8-win7-notebook-release-notes.pdf

At the page 17, you can read the following fix note: "[GeForce FX 770M][Notebook]: Blue-screen crash occurs after booting to Windows."

Of course GeForce FX 770M doesn't exist (and never existed) and it should be Quadro FX 770M. I can bet nVidia corrected that famous BSOD problem in the wrong driver because there still is nothing about any "Quadro FX 770M-fix" in the release note of the lastest Quadro driver (340.52).

You guys have to try the above GeForce driver but in order to install it, you may have to download a modified INF file with the inclusion of the Quadro FX 770M ID (= "NVIDIA_DEV.065C = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M"). Try without the modified INF file first because the Quadro FX 770M is listed as a compatible chip in the release note of GeForce 337.88 driver...

I will try this even though I'm entirely sastified with the latest (workable) Quadro driver (285.62) without turning Powermizer off. I didn't try the latest Quadro drivers yet (to be honnest).

Late me know please.

19 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 14:00

Awesome, it finally worked perfectly with the latest GeForce driver (337.88) on Windows 7 without any BSOD and without disabling powermizer.

Nothing else! :)

3 Posts

May 16th, 2012 01:00

Out of curiosity, what BIOS revision are you running on your M4400? BIOS A27 appears to have come out 18th April, in the release notes (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?driverID=YDD6X) it states under fixes:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M Video BIOS version 62.94.8F.00.01

I tried to download from the link on that page and got file not found, I ended up finding it here:

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/FOLDER00196891M/1/M4400A27.exe

I'm having the exact same problem as you, I'll be applying this BIOS tonight to see if it fixes the problem & will post back my results.

3 Posts

May 16th, 2012 04:00

Scrap that, I'm already running A27. The more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards the update to A27 being the culprit.

3 Posts

May 16th, 2012 05:00

Just disabled Windows AERO and installed the A11_R288480.exe driver from the Dell site:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

So far the BSOD's have stopped.

1 Message

June 18th, 2012 15:00

You dont need to go that old 285 drivers are fine, anything newer and you will get BSOD until Dell fix this, Nvidia say 770m bios needs updating.

June 25th, 2012 12:00

Hello,

I have the same problem M4400 FX770 A27 BIOS bluescreen.

I made some experiments with powermizer switch and gpu-z 0.5.9

Thats what I found out:

1. Bluescreen only if powermizer funktion is activated (Voltage is automtically reduced to 0.89V)

2. System ist absolutely stable if powermizer is switched off (Voltage always 1.05V) 

The bluecreen always comes up when the FX770 witches from the lowest power mode to the mid-power mode.

Conclusion: the 0.89 Volts in the mid-power mode is not sufficient for a stable system.

So Dell has to create a new VIDEO-BIOS-Update, which includes a slightly higher voltage for the mid-power mode of the fx770.

I think a Voltage 0.95V for dteh mid-power-state should solve the problem for all here with a unstable FX770.

I hope Dell will read and prove my infomation and will offer a M4400-Bios update  for all M4400-victims with an unstable mid-power mode

July 2nd, 2012 13:00

I experimented with two other parameters:

1. unchecking vt-x.option in the BIOS (a hint from somewhere else)

2. Installing 9600M GT drivers instead of the original.

Since that I haven't discovered any bluescreen  

August 20th, 2012 16:00

Sadly this problem persists in Windows 8 x64 MSDN (Build 9200) with the newest official NVIDIA Drivers (302.80 Beta) as well as the A27 BIOS with the latest official Quatro FX 770 BIOS from DELL (62.94.8F.00.01).

Did you flash an 9600M GT BIOS to use the 9600M GT Driver? At least in Windows 8 it's not possible to install those drivers even when manualy trying to load them after deselecting "only compatible hardware". It's telling me that those drivers are incompatible for this OS.

The old drivers aren't working in Windows 8 anymore  (even thought they are made for Windows 7 x64) .
That 's why you cannot run Windows 8 stable at all.

I seriously expect a solution to this as there isn't any workaround left.

August 21st, 2012 01:00

BSOD on Windows 8 occurs everytime you come back from standby - shows screen for 2 seconds, then turns black and after that a BSOD will appear.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2012 17:00

Anybody get this to work with Windows 7 64bit?  I have two M4400's I'm trying to reimage and both are giving me Blue Screens.  One is at BIOS A27 and the other still at A16.

Does anyone have an install sequence that works for Windows 7?

11 Posts

September 4th, 2012 21:00

Just following up on the post by Charlybravo . It appears that Powermizer switch is a product developed to override the nvidia built-in power management solution called Powermizer, I found a description and the product on the following forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/273276-powermizer-switch-get-most-out-your-video-card.html

The actual download is here:

http://www.box.net/shared/v7jpoateoq

I'm downloading the 9600M GT driver now (its gigantic at 204MB).  I'm a litle skeptical that will work but if I can't get past this by disabling Powermizer then I'll try this driver and disable the virtualization extensions in the BIOS.

11 Posts

With a modest amount of fiddling I was able to get PowerMizer to work (note: make sure you turn UAC off to use this product).  I was able to turn off PowerMizer and I have now been able to launch IE and watch some videos without a BSOD).  I'm off to try World of Warcraft and run some Furmarks test and will update once I get some more info.

11 Posts

I am so glad to see that someone else is experiencing this problem. I just did a fresh install of Win 7 Home Premium on an 80GB partition.  I have updated everything via MS Windows Update and also updated all Dell recommended drivers including A27.

The minute I enable the Quadro card using the recommended nVidia driver I get a BSOD after a minute or two.  I can run all day long in Safe mode and with the generic MS video driver.

I really like this machine but this is the flakiest card I've seen, I've had it replaced once already.  I'm going to try the voltage suggestion mentioned previously (although I'm surprised that a computer targeted to CAD development requires undervolting).

11 Posts

September 5th, 2012 15:00

This worked for me.  Thanks.

No Events found!