Xen253
1 Copper

Re: Problems with the Precision M4400 and the Nvidia quadro 770M

Jump to solution

What is and where can I get Nvidia Utlities? Every time I run powermizer i get "settings not found". Thanks

0 Kudos
Kaberdog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This is usually installed as part of the driver installation Xen.  If you haven't installed the nVidia driver you need to do that first.  I believe I received an error when I first ran Powermizer too but you can ignore it and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Xen253
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ah thank you. I forgot to run it as admin. So far it seems to be working. Thank you

0 Kudos
Alpha Church
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There's an expression in french for this kind of thing : Je te dois une bière mon ami !  

Totally worked for me and it was driving me nuts...works fine when gaming, but when it became inactive and jumped back in full mode it crached. And it all started when I updated the Bios. So it's a good thing to stick with the A26 update. 

Thanks a million, and what you said is totaly true, Dell should update there update 

0 Kudos
PJexDELL
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The A26 bios is available for downgrade form the Dell website Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
scajjr2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just upgraded my son-in-law's M4400 to Win7x64. His M4400 has the A14 BIOS. Installed the 285.62 drivers after having issues with the ones Windows Update installed after the install of Win7. Haven't had a BSOD since.

sam

0 Kudos
Core2DuoQuad
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

FYI - Running Windows 8 64-bit and laptop works fine using the default Windows 8 Driver - NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.2)

I also used the latest NVIDIA Driver 310.90. That driver worked IF you disabled Powermizer.

I benchmarked both drivers with 3DMark Vantage. The result was 1500 GPU marks for the default Windows 8 driver and the latest NVIDIA driver.

I choose to stick with the Microsoft Windows 8 NVIDIA driver because powermizer works plugged in and on battery! :-)

Below are the WEI score for Windows 8. - BTW - WEI scores were identical between Microsoft and Nvidia Driver.

M4400 - BIOS A27 -

T9600 2.80 Ghz 6MB Cache

8GB 800Mhz DDR2

Nvidia Quadro FX 770M 512MB DDR3

1920X1200 WUXGA 2 CCFL Samsung Screen

256GB Crucial M4 SSD

FYI - Hey Dell, You still need to fix the BSOD issue with Nvidia drivers!

0 Kudos
Kaberdog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That's interesting and thanks for sharing.  I've switched back to Win7 32bit and havent seen a BSOD with the latest nVidia drivers.

However, what are ppl using for cooling solutions?  This card runs so hot that I usually get an overheat error anytime I have an extended GPU intensive activity.  I'm running a Thermaltake laptop cooler but its still overheating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Core2DuoQuad
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Have you removed the heatsinks? Mine looked clean but when I removed both heat sinks there was a "carpet" of fuzz and hair blocking 60% of the heatsink fins. Cleaned that out, and cleaned out the old thermal grease. Applied Arctic silver 5 (or your favorite thermal paste) Laptop now runs cool and quiet when surfing the net. BTW if you turn powermizer off, then the FX 770M runs at 100% speed no matter what the GPU load. Laptop definitely was warmer with powermizer off. I recommend HW monitor for CPU / GPU temps form www.cpuid.com Unfortunately the Windows 8 Microsoft FX 770M will not let you monitor GPU temps. Although I could monitor them with Nvidia driver.BTW  Idon't use a laptop cooler, my T9600 CPU temps are 38 C idle and GPU temps are 58 C idle. 80C load GPU temps

SJN_Stefan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same error (BSOD) after I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit...

BSOD error is that it tried resetting the display driver, which apparantly failed. Can be reproduced for exaple by opening the 'customize windows look to personal preferences'-panel (rightclick on desktop); this is where you select the themes etc. Apparantly it then does something to the video card which brings up the BSOD; probably the same after recovering from Standby etc.

I'm not going to try the voltage change tool, as this will affect battery time and sounds like a work-around of the actual issue.
After a lot of trying the new version(s), I'm now going back to the Dell-provided version (2010...2+ years old!!).

@Dell: Please fix this issue!!!

0 Kudos