Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2012 02:00

Problems with the Precision M4400 and the Nvidia quadro 770M

I have a problem with my Precision M4400 and Nvidia Quadro 770M. After I have installed Windows 7 64 bit, I have problems with the graphics card. I get blue screens or graphical errors. I've tried several driver versions. In the Nvidia forum had this problem even more. Here they told me that only a BIOS update of the graphics card to solve the problem. The BIOS update but I would have to refer by DELL. So my question is this problem with Dell is also known, and there is already a BIOS update to the Quadro 770M?

1 Message

September 5th, 2012 15:00

Any results? I have a customer with simular issues.

11 Posts

September 5th, 2012 15:00

So far no BSOD after turning off Powermizer.  It appears this is the right fix, thanks for recommending this Charlybravo.

September 5th, 2012 22:00

So what exactly did everyone do?

I went in and disabled the virtualization in the BIOS, and downloaded the GT driver but I am still blue screening.

I am A27 BIOS as well. Can someone post a link for the 9600 driver I was having trouble finding it perhaps I downloaded the wrong one. 

Do I also need to turn powermizer off along with these steps?

11 Posts

September 5th, 2012 22:00

For me it was all about disabling powermizer... no BSODs after turning it off (I couldn't even load a dialog box in Windows before I BSODed before that).  I'm running fully patched Win7 Home Premium 64 and nVidia driver 301.42.  

September 6th, 2012 09:00

Okay so this is the latest driver for the 770m.

www.nvidia.com/.../quadro-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-305.93-whql-driver.html

Now just so I am making sure I am not getting confused, I am not the best with computers.

I have installed powermizer already.

So I go into powermizer and disable it.

Then I remove my current dell driver for my video card (it is from 2010).

I go to the Nvidia site and download and install the latest driver for the 770m then I restart my machine.

And when I boot back up the blue screens should stop? Do I have to re-disable powermizer?

Thanks

11 Posts

September 6th, 2012 18:00

Yes, you have it right.  

I have a slightly different version of the nvidia driver but your link above looks correct.  You'll need to install the driver and nvidia utilities first and run Powermizer afterwards

When you install Powermizer, I think it puts a shortcut/icon on your desktop, if not then just drag it onto you desktop.  When you run it you'll see a couple of buttons to disable Powermizer when your laptop is using AC or when your computer is using AC and battery (I selected this option).  You'll have to reboot but after that Powermizer will be off ( you can turn it back on by doublelcicking on the powermizer applet again and selecting "On").

I havent seen a BSOD since I disabled powermizer.  I haven't bothered to look in more detail at the voltage or any other adjustments that you can make but Charlybravo was correct, it appears the voltage fluctuations that cause Windows7 64 to throw an exception.

Just my two cents but I dont think you need to disable the Bios Virtualization extensions, I dont see how they're relevant to this issue.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2012 16:00

What is and where can I get Nvidia Utlities? Every time I run powermizer i get "settings not found". Thanks

11 Posts

September 17th, 2012 17:00

This is usually installed as part of the driver installation Xen.  If you haven't installed the nVidia driver you need to do that first.  I believe I received an error when I first ran Powermizer too but you can ignore it and it works fine.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2012 23:00

Ah thank you. I forgot to run it as admin. So far it seems to be working. Thank you

1 Message

November 11th, 2012 00:00

There's an expression in french for this kind of thing : Je te dois une bière mon ami !  

Totally worked for me and it was driving me nuts...works fine when gaming, but when it became inactive and jumped back in full mode it crached. And it all started when I updated the Bios. So it's a good thing to stick with the A26 update. 

Thanks a million, and what you said is totaly true, Dell should update there update :emotion-4:

1 Message

December 12th, 2012 12:00

The A26 bios is available for downgrade form the Dell website ;)

14 Posts

January 19th, 2013 14:00

I just upgraded my son-in-law's M4400 to Win7x64. His M4400 has the A14 BIOS. Installed the 285.62 drivers after having issues with the ones Windows Update installed after the install of Win7. Haven't had a BSOD since.

sam

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

FYI - Running Windows 8 64-bit and laptop works fine using the default Windows 8 Driver - NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.2)

I also used the latest NVIDIA Driver 310.90. That driver worked IF you disabled Powermizer.

I benchmarked both drivers with 3DMark Vantage. The result was 1500 GPU marks for the default Windows 8 driver and the latest NVIDIA driver.

I choose to stick with the Microsoft Windows 8 NVIDIA driver because powermizer works plugged in and on battery! :-)

Below are the WEI score for Windows 8. - BTW - WEI scores were identical between Microsoft and Nvidia Driver.

M4400 - BIOS A27 -

T9600 2.80 Ghz 6MB Cache

8GB 800Mhz DDR2

Nvidia Quadro FX 770M 512MB DDR3

1920X1200 WUXGA 2 CCFL Samsung Screen

256GB Crucial M4 SSD

FYI - Hey Dell, You still need to fix the BSOD issue with Nvidia drivers!

11 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 19:00

That's interesting and thanks for sharing.  I've switched back to Win7 32bit and havent seen a BSOD with the latest nVidia drivers.

However, what are ppl using for cooling solutions?  This card runs so hot that I usually get an overheat error anytime I have an extended GPU intensive activity.  I'm running a Thermaltake laptop cooler but its still overheating.

February 4th, 2013 07:00

Have you removed the heatsinks? Mine looked clean but when I removed both heat sinks there was a "carpet" of fuzz and hair blocking 60% of the heatsink fins. Cleaned that out, and cleaned out the old thermal grease. Applied Arctic silver 5 (or your favorite thermal paste) Laptop now runs cool and quiet when surfing the net. BTW if you turn powermizer off, then the FX 770M runs at 100% speed no matter what the GPU load. Laptop definitely was warmer with powermizer off. I recommend HW monitor for CPU / GPU temps form www.cpuid.com Unfortunately the Windows 8 Microsoft FX 770M will not let you monitor GPU temps. Although I could monitor them with Nvidia driver.BTW  Idon't use a laptop cooler, my T9600 CPU temps are 38 C idle and GPU temps are 58 C idle. 80C load GPU temps

No Events found!