H

July 24th, 2017 04:00

Processor/Motherboard Upgrade & System Optimisation techniques in windows 10

Hi,

I recently bought a dell laptop running the following specs ;

Processor  Intel® Pentium® CPU N3710 @ 1.60ghz
Installed ram 8gb
System type 64 bit Operating System   x63 based processor

I have tried to optimised my system using all the various self help guides that are available online. However I am still experiencing some lag and odd behaviour that I would like to eliminate. I am considering doing a clean boot of windows 10 to start from scratch.

I am also concerned my existing hardware specs are limiting the efficiency of my laptop. if I want to change my processor, I have to check if my motherboard can cope with the Intel Core processors that my desktop is running. How do I do this ?  I know chaning the processor will invalidate the warranty -so I will need to get someone in the know to do this for me ? Any ideas  ?

thanks,

Habib.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2017 04:00

These are FCBGA CPUs - soldered into the system board.  They cannot be replaced.

The only upgrade is if there's a system board for your model with a higher-end CPU option - the entire board must be replaced.  This will likely run you well over $300 if it's even possible, and yes - it will void your warranty.

21 Posts

July 26th, 2017 03:00

Ok, well I've tweaked my existing setup as far as I can but am still experiencing too much lag for my liking.

What other ways can I boost performance ? Can I buy an external CPU that will boost the processing power. What about a SSD drive- will that only boost program loading times or will it also boost web page loading times. I've noticed I.E is becoming increasingly sluggish-possibly because I've disabled 95% of all add ons and am now finding edge a much more smoother experience ? Am close to admitting defeat and doing a clean boot/factory reset but surely there must be an alternative way...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2017 05:00

No, to the external CPU - and while an SSD will boost performance, anything that needs CPU or graphics will still be challenged - this is a weak CPU/GPU, and there's nothing you can really do about that except replace the system with one having a more capable processor.

21 Posts

July 26th, 2017 06:00

will swapping the laptop's harddrive for a ssd invalidate the warranty ? Is the reason for my sluggish i.e due to my isp ? am I not getting the responsiveness I seek due to my connection ? How do I test this ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2017 06:00

In general, replacing the drive won't void the warranty -- on most models, it's user-replaceable.  On others, it's not - depends on the system model.

You can test your network bandwidth at speedtest.net (or a similar site).  It's more likely the system's CPU and GPU are holding you back - this is not a high performance system;  that CPU is designed to be a lower-power tablet-style CPU - not a performance notebook CPU.

21 Posts

July 26th, 2017 07:00

Could it be the speeds in getting from my isp that are slowing down things. ? I will check when I get home. Should I contact dell to see whether the inspiron 3552 will cope with a 1tb ssd drive. I just use the laptop for basic word office tools, outlook, retro gaming, movies, youtube and music.

Would you recommend overclocking the CPU and if so what steps should be taken ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2017 10:00

That system should be OK for word processing,email and web browsing.  Just about anything else is more demanding than its capabilities - forget gaming, and anything demanding video-wise (youtube OK but anything requiring decoding will swamp it).

You'll find a 1T SSD WILL speed things up but probably cost as much or more than the entire system did initially.

There's little you can do to speed up a system at this end of the market -- it's just a very low-end, limited system.

21 Posts

July 27th, 2017 10:00

what about increasing the RAM ? Im going to look around town to see if I can get a cheap SSD drive and have contacted my ISP about optimising my broadband connection.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2017 10:00

Even if you can install more than 8G, it's not going to help performance.

The bottom line is that you must realize this is a budget model - there's not much (other than an SSD) you can do with it -- and even that won't help its weak CPU.

21 Posts

July 27th, 2017 14:00

not even if I attempt to overclock the cpu ? ( once I learn how to do it ) or do I risk killing my laptop stone cold.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2017 20:00

It isn't even possible -- nor will it help.

No Events found!