Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2011 15:00

Protecting my XPS 15z?

So after buying a standard kensington cable lock for my new 15z (which, unfortunately, arrived with a broken screen, altough i have a technician coming tuesday for that), i realized it doesn't have a kensington lock, which is pretty standard for laptops.

Actually, i further noticed there seems to be absolutely no way to secure it whatsoever from theft... Has anione found a way to protect it/a product to secure it? I'm using it for college and might need to leave it from time to time in my classroom, but how would i go about making sure it won't be stolen, without any kind of locks on the computer?

Has anione had issues with this or have any comments or suggestions for me regarding this matter?

6 Posts

August 21st, 2011 15:00

Edit: I've just browsed the webstore, and noticed it does not say on any kind of laptops if a kensington lock is included or not. This information being witholded from customers, i believe it would be within my right to demand an exchange/refund for my computer, as i am unable to use it without this lock.

In the (most likely) case no suggestions as to how i could protect my computer from theft would arise, i would need help finding the proper person/department which i should query to obtain a refund/exchange for another brand of computer (most likely the XPS 17, which sports a kensington lock).

Please, a speedy response would be appreciated by anione with such knowledge, as i require this computer for this week for class, and the fact i cannot use it (both because it's broken on delivery and impossible to secure) hinders me greatly.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2011 16:00

WHY NO SECURITY SLOT ON THIS MACHINE?

I purchased this for my son for college.  Have had it since July 7 so there is no way to return it.  Just looked at it today and discovered no security slot.

Dell, please advise as to what you suggest to secure this computer!  I can't believe that you didn't put a slot on it.  College kids around the country are going to be pretty mad.

What is the solution?

Thanks.

6 Posts

August 21st, 2011 19:00

Bump, for great justice and answers.

But seriously... Does anione else find it strange that a 'Ultra-portable' laptop has no physical protection whatsoever?

1 Message

August 27th, 2011 16:00

I contacted Dell today with this issue and they recommended that I purchase the LoJack software protection.  I told that I preferred a more "proactive" approach to my sons laptop and they reiterated that the LoJack was probably the only option available.  I have seen on another forum a post that someone used an Ipad lock mechanism for the XPS 15z  that worked but cannot find any information on the device.

Sorry.

4 Posts

August 28th, 2011 13:00

I ordered the XPS 15z yesterday not realising that there was no slot for a security cable, very strange as in the customise there is an option to purchase a Kensington Clicksafe security cable, what is the point it there is no where to put it.  I am cancelling my order, very dissapointed as I wanted the laptop.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2011 08:00

Got through to customer service this morning and order has been cancelled, no problem.  Was told that Lojack would tace it if stolen.    

I find it strange that in the customization you can order a Kensington Clicksafe cable when there is no where to connect it to the laptop.  Will hang on for a couple of months to see if they will make a modification, if they do then I will re-order.

6 Posts

September 7th, 2011 08:00

Considering this is supposed to be an 'Ultra portable' performance laptop, there is absolutely NO reasons for such an essential feature to have been left out as it was... Kinda like putting an integrated GPu in a desktop, who would ever do that?

Besides, the fact Dell hasn't given any sort of help has made me do much more than reconsider... This is definitely my last computer coming from them, if i ever need something more powerfull, i'll have it customized (and it'll probably cost less, in the end, go figure).

This is even worse then my previous XPS desktop...

And of course, Lojack isnt an answer to this problem at all, and as such i now move my computer around with me at all time and can't leave it from my gaze for a minute... Thanks Dell...

1 Message

September 7th, 2011 08:00

I'm a grad student and just discovered there wasn't a security slot this morning after breaking open my new cable lock. I, too, thought it was a standard feature. The fact that Dell hasn't even posted a response to this forum makes me even angrier. Installing "Lojack" is NO substitute for impeding a theft from even happening in the first place! I can't think of a solid reason for leaving out this feature. I've been a loyal Dell customer for years and this serious inconvenience is making me reconsider.

4 Posts

September 7th, 2011 09:00

My order was cancelled and I will now be ordering the standard 15" xps 8mb.  From reviews and pictures I have looked at this is probably more hi spec than the 15z and has a security cable slot.  After doing further the MAC Air does not have a slot, I think that this and the 15z are too thin to accommodate a slot.

Better to go for the XPS 15 as it is not a lot heavier than the 15z and has more upgrade options.

October 2nd, 2011 10:00

I agree wholeheartedly mantakree. Bought my xps15z yesterday without checking whether I can use my kensington lock on it, assuming that like all my previous and current laptops it would have the option to secure it physically with a lock.

Low and behold, was I stumped when I stood there cable in hand and no slot to secure it into. Dell, you SO missed the ball on this one. Third Dell laptop and unless someone comes up with an answer, last Dell. There is no refund option from the reseller I purchased it from so I am stuck with it.

This should not be considered an oversight but a significant design flaw, one that makes this laptop unusable in an open-plan office environment. What does Dell suggest, we pray for a new Utopia where theft does not exist?

Dropped the ball Dell, dropped the ball bigtime on this one.

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 20:00

Hi, I just found this. I have it. Its called a STOP anti theft plate.

visit stoptheft.com to check out information....

but I advise to just go directly to this page to view the lock plate cable kit: store.stoptheft.com/.../commerce.cgi

No Events found!