Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2017 14:00

Question about USB type-C port on the Dell Inspiron 15 7659 laptop.

Have anyone plugged in power adapter to the USB type c port to power the laptop?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 19th, 2017 15:00

@toolbox1234, if you've already got a USB-C AC adapter for your Latitude, just plug it into your Inspiron and see what happens.  You're not going to break anything.  If the system doesn't support it, the charger won't deliver any current.  USB-C requires some intelligent negotiation before any meaningful current flows.

17 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 15:00

Thanks. The reason I asked is because of www.dell.com/.../pc-accessories

7569 is listed in the description.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 15:00

USB C charging is not implemented on the Inspiron 7000 series - you must use the standard round power port.

The whole USB C/3.1/Thunderbolt story takes a while to sort out, but just because there's a USB C port, doesn't mean there's support for charging - or even USB 3.1 aboard.

19 Posts

August 19th, 2017 12:00

According to Dell on 8/17/17, I could charge my Inspiron 7368 through its USB-C port if I used the new D6000 docking station ($200).

I tried with just a USB-A to USB-C cable to a Dell Venue wall wart, and nothing happened.

Because the 7368 can be charged via USB-C, I suspect the new 65 watt Dart-C (now on 18 week back order) with its smart and sophisticated USB-C cable will also work.

However, I do not see the point. Unless you can slow charge the battery overnight via USB-C with the same wart that powers your phone or tablet, you might as well stick with the stock coax power supply.  Also, I am not sure that a laptop will charge via USB-C if it is powered down, whereas it will charge via the coax jack.

17 Posts

August 19th, 2017 12:00

Thanks. The reason I ask this question is because I have a Dell Latitude laptop that comes with a USB-C AC-adapter. If the Inspiron 15 7659 laptop can be powered through the USB-C port, I can get a spare AC-adapter and keep it in my backpack. That way, I don't have to worry about AC-adapter when I take either laptop with me.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 19th, 2017 15:00

@cprstn54, you're not going to be able to charge a laptop off of any wall wart that has a USB-A connector.  They don't supply nearly enough current (at most they'd do 12W per port), nor do they support the USB Power Delivery spec.  Charging a laptop over USB-C requires a charger that supports USB Power Delivery and can deliver AT LEAST 40W or 60W out of that port, although some laptops with higher power requirements (such as those that come with 130W wall adapters) will work poorly or not at all even with those chargers.  Dell's WD15 and TB16 docks can provide 130W to Dell systems over USB-C, so they work, but I haven't seen any portable wall chargers that go above 60.  But if 40-60W is enough for your system (which you can determine by the wattage of the AC adapter that comes with the laptop itself), take a look at a company called Anker.  Their PowerPort 5+ USB-C port that can deliver up to 40W plus 4 USB-A ports as well that are each capable of 12W, though the total power draw can't exceed 60W.  Otherwise, they have another wall wart that has just a USB-C port that can do 60W.

17 Posts

August 19th, 2017 17:00

@jphughan, thank you for the suggestion. I unplug my coax AC adapter and plug in my Dell 45W AC Adapter. The screen dimmed during the change over but it went back to full brightness when the USB-C AC adapter is in. The battery level is about 95% and the balloon tip said "plug in but not charged". However, the battery shows 100% after a while. Looks like I can use a USB-C AC adapter to power my Dell 7659.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 19th, 2017 17:00

Great news!  In terms of the balloon tip, I've seen those not update immediately or at all before, so if your system charges, then at worst that will be a cosmetic glitch, and possibly just an intermittent one.  In that case you may want to look into the Anker chargers I mentioned above as possible solutions. Ideally you'd want to match or exceed the wattage provided by the AC adapter that came with your system, but the system will usually accept at least one step down from that and simply charge more slowly and POSSIBLY throttle performance -- although if you just want this as a travel charger, that may be fine for your purposes.

17 Posts

August 19th, 2017 18:00

Both Dell AC adapters are 45W.

17 Posts

August 21st, 2017 12:00

Just an update. I used the 7659 for more than a hour with the Dell USB-C AC adapter and the battery icon indicates 100% charged. For my purpose, this is what I need. For over-night charging, I will continue to use the AC adapter that came with the 7659. Thank you for everyone's inputs.

No Events found!