RamziH
2 Bronze

Question about battery plugged all the time !

Jump to solution

I bought dell inspiron n7110,if I plugged it to the power and use it all the time ,the battery wont broken ?Or I should remove the battery when I want to plug it to the power and use it ?
can you tell me some advice about the battery ? I only know that I should recharge it
only if it be under 20%

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mooly01
3 Argentum

Re: Question about battery plugged all the time !

Jump to solution

Any laptop battery deteriorates slowly from day of manufacture. Keeping the battery permanently "on charge" is not an issue because the battery is automatically disconnected when charged to 100%. As the battery losses a small amount of charge naturally the charging is recommenced automatically when the level has fallen to approx 96%. You will probably never notice this happening.

Using the battery wears it out... the battery has a limited number of full charge/discharge cycles available to it. Use it a lot and it will begin to have reduced capacity over time.

If you have AC power available use it. That said it can be beneficial to run on battery once in a while, say every three or four weeks. Doing that will give you the longest possible life from the battery. I have a 6yr old Acer that has been used like this and the battery still seems essentially as good as from day 1.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DELL-Harish R
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Hi RamziH,

The main purpose of battery is to discharge power. You can connect the laptop all the time to the AC Adapter however, i suggest that you use the laptop on the battery once every two days and drain it completely as it might affect the battery performance.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards,
Harish R
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos
RamziH
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I use the battery once every day and sometimes once in every 2 days, I plug it to the power when the pc notice me ( when it be about 7 %of power left ) maybe I had less then 10 times it turned off by it self (I was away :D)

0 Kudos
Mooly01
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Any laptop battery deteriorates slowly from day of manufacture. Keeping the battery permanently "on charge" is not an issue because the battery is automatically disconnected when charged to 100%. As the battery losses a small amount of charge naturally the charging is recommenced automatically when the level has fallen to approx 96%. You will probably never notice this happening.

Using the battery wears it out... the battery has a limited number of full charge/discharge cycles available to it. Use it a lot and it will begin to have reduced capacity over time.

If you have AC power available use it. That said it can be beneficial to run on battery once in a while, say every three or four weeks. Doing that will give you the longest possible life from the battery. I have a 6yr old Acer that has been used like this and the battery still seems essentially as good as from day 1.

View solution in original post

RamziH
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Ok Ill use the battery when I was away from the power and Ill keep it plugged  as long time as I can .If I used the battery when should I recharge it again ,when the pc says so (when it be about 9 %) ?

Thanks for reply  all

0 Kudos
DELL-Royan S

Jump to solution

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

0 Kudos