Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2009 09:00

Questions about Installing Windows 7 Beta or RC on Studio 1555

I just got my Studio 1555 yesterday with Vista Home premium.  I have registered for the free Windows 7 upgrade but since I have been using XP Pro on my desktop machine I don't really see any point in getting used to Vista for 2 months just to move over to Win7 so I was thinking about installing the Win7 Beta or RC.

My question is whether or not the Drivers for the media keys on the keyboard and the Webcam and Touchpad will work with Windows 7?  Has anyone Installed Windows 7 on a Studio 155 or any of the other Studio Laptops?  I am not really worried about voiding my Software warranty since I am more than capable of fixing any issues that airse on the software side of things I just don't want to have to go through he headache of doing a full system restore if it does not work if someone can tell me there are problems upfront.

Thanks for any info in advance.

August 14th, 2009 11:00

I know the beta is off and the RC goes off DL tomorrow but that is not a problem.  I have the RC on Disk.  What I am asking more to the point is if I will have any issues with the hardware; specifically the media and function keys on the keyboard, the touchpad, and the webcam.  I don't really have any interest in learning Vista and I am not going to do a upgade install for Windows 7 anyway.  I fully plan on doing a clean install.  A new OS deserves a clean newly formatted hard drive to live on. :-)

Thanks for the feedback though.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 14th, 2009 11:00

You cannot install the beta. It's expired. The RC version will go off download tomorrow and is different from the final version. You should not install either on the new machine. The free upgrade requires that you have Vista installed. And Win 7 is an upgraded version of Vista and works just like Vista. Vista on a new machine works very well. Keep it, learn it and the upgrade to Win 7 will be easy. If you had Win 7rc installed, you would have to remove it by doing a complete clean install.

3.7K Posts

August 14th, 2009 12:00

Also dell have not released any drivers for win 7 rc. If you install win 7 rc and  get problems, dell support will not want to know.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 14th, 2009 12:00

Win 7 IS Vista, not a completely new OS. You are going to have to learn Vista/Win 7--a very easy thing to learn, BTW. You have to have Vista installed to do the upgrade. There will not be drivers for all the hardware until Win 7 actually comes out, but most hardware will work with vista drivers if win 7 drivers are not available. If you do install the RC, you will have to reinstall Vista (clean install) to do the upgrade. You should be able to do a clean install with the upgrade disk, but you must start it from Vista. Think of Win 7 as service pack 3 for vista. I am using Win 7 rc in a dual boot now--something to consider since it would be easy to test now and wipe out later-- and know you will really like it. I've installed Vista as an upgrade to an older machine--works OK--and have a newer, better machine that came with Vista that works great. Since Win 7 is 2 months away, you would be wise to wait. Another thing--you should not change the OS on a new computer until after the first few weeks in case there are any problems. Use it and check out everything before you decide. By then Win 7 will be only weeks away. Check out the discussions on Win 7 at the MS Technet site.

No Events found!