Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 8th, 2013 03:00

Questions on Dell Vostro 5460

I'm interested in getting the Dell Vostro 5460. I see in the description that it has a Nvidia 630M 2GB post-RTS. What does post-RTS means? Does this model have an Intel HD graphics processor built in as well (hybrid), or only the 630M? Thanks!

• 

3.3K Posts

September 8th, 2013 03:00

Hi mikeraj,

The system is initially shipped with Intel graphics card which is integrated to the motherboard. RTS means Release to shipping. Post the shipping date of the system, Discrete video card that is NVidia GeForce GT 630 1GB/2GB are available.

165 Posts

September 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi Sujatha, I still don't get it, what you mean by post-release-to-shipping? Does it mean that units which are already manufactured with Intel HD and ready to ship are pulled back from the inventory and installed with the GT630?

Does this means also that the units have both the Intel HD and GT630 built in?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2013 08:00

The Intel GPU is part of the main CPU.  The nVidia GPU is a chip soldered to the mainboard.  It's a standard hybrid video setup -- you are not getting a system with true, discrete video - the nVidia GPU is a coprocessor.

It may not matter to you but you should be aware that all Vostro models have now been discontinued - there will no longer be a line of Vostro systems, so this is basically an end of life model you're buying.

165 Posts

September 8th, 2013 08:00

What are the pros and cons or the hybrid video system? Can the latest nvidia driver be installed? Can the Intel HD processor be disabled and running on the nvidia GPU alone? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2013 09:00

Video drivers must come from Dell - no, the Intel GPU cannot be disabled.  All video data passes through it -- even if it has been processed by the nVidia chip.

This is a multimedia-capable hybrid system.  It is not designed to be a high performance video rendering system - whether that's for video intensive work or gaming.

If you need high end video, look at the Alienware or Precision mobile workstations - you won't find it in any mid-range notebook.

165 Posts

Do you think the 5460 is capable of running Photoshop and Premier smoothly?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

For casual use, perhaps.  For routine use, no - you need a true dedicated-video system if you're going to be using those applications extensively.

If you have need of those applications on a professional basis, look at the Precision m4700 system - not the consumer-grade Inspiron/Vostro/etc.

1 Message

July 17th, 2016 02:00

hi...im looking for a slim notebook that has i7 processor. I saw your DELL XPS 15 and was wondering what this means:

"16GB DDR4 at 2133 MHz (32GB post-RTS) (2 x SoDIMMs)"

does it mean it comes with 16gb first and can be upgraded up to 32gb by adding another 16gb on the available expansion slot?

or does it mean it comes with 16gb and to upgrade it , i must get and install a new 32gb memory and remove the 16gb?

thanks

Daniel Lim

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2016 07:00

It means the system comes with 2 8G modules -- and since these have only two memory slots, you'd need to replace both to upgrade to 32 G (replace 2X8 by 2X16).

No Events found!