Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 20th, 2011 07:00

R284809 Wireless Display Application - Not installing

I got a critical update notification from Dell for my XPS L501X (Windows 7 64 bit) to install the Wireless Display Application (R284809.EXE) but get an error message when installing.

"The platform is not compatible with Intel(R) Wireless Display or the application is in use, Please see the log for more details"

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2011 12:00

Terry,

I accidentally closed my browser when downloading the driver. I downloaded the driver from HERE . I went to install the driver and got the message, the driver was already installed.

Rick

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2011 04:00

Sorry you are having difficulties with the Support Site.  I've notified the Team that handles those issues. 

Just FYI in the future, whenever you see a problem with the links or any of the Dell pages, look for the "feedback" link (usually at the bottom of the page) click it, and report the problem there.  That link is the fastest way to report problems, and you will receive a follow up email letting you know the status.

Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

February 19th, 2011 21:00

I have EXACTLY the same problem as Terry:

I got a critical update notification from Dell for my XPS L701X (Windows 7 64 bit) to install the Wireless Display Application (R284809.EXE) but get an error message when installing.

"The platform is not compatible with Intel(R) Wireless Display or the application is in use, Please see the log for more details"

Robert - I don't see any "feedback link" to click in this situation. The Support Center link takes me to a completely blank web page for the driver download. When I asked about this Wireless Display Application in the Dell Support Center search box, it took me to a list of products I could buy that have Wireless Display...NOT VERY HELPFUL! Only when I left the Dell site and asked Google the same question was I directed to this link.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated getting my new laptop set up!

It also seems like Dell Update wants to install a bunch of drivers for things I don't have on my computer. Why should I download all of that stuff? 

Any insight or help would be appreciated!

Thanks -

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 19th, 2011 21:00

Paperfolder,

I got the message, the wireless display is already installed. I have sent my logs, along with the files they needed so the technicians will look into this.

Robert, I'm in communications with Chris and she forwarded my logs to the techs so this could be corrected.

Rick

February 19th, 2011 23:00

Hi Rick-

I tried going to the link you suggested above, but the file is identical* and I get the same message as before:

"InstallShield Wizard Aborted

This platform is not compatible with Intel Wireless Display or the application is in use. Please see the log for more details."

I don't know where to look for the log.

*Here is the Version info for R284809:

Title      : Video:Intel Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager Application
Version    : A02
OEM Name   : Intel
OEM Ver    : 1.2.20.0
Computers  : XPS Notebook - L501X, L701X
Oses       : Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, Windows 7 64-bit Professional, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Languages  : Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Created    : Tue Nov 23 19:59:27 CST 2010.

I received this computer just over 2 weeks ago and have run into several problems with the set up - links in the documentation that send me to a dead end.

Carol

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2011 04:00

Carol,

I have a Dell XPS L501x with the i5 processor. I have the capability to use the wireless display. The i7 processor does not have this feature, if my memory serves me correctly. Go HERE and click on, what do I need to see if your system qualifies.

That's really strange. I first got the message about critical updates for the wireless display. Please note service tag and express service numbers have been removed pre Dell policy.

I click on install. It takes me to Dell automatic download page...

I save the file to my desktop. I usually put the files in a folder in case they need unzipped. I doble clicked on the R284809.exe and got...

Continue to unzip Intel Wireless Display, version A02

I then get this message that the product is already installed.

I click ok and get...

Since the product is already installed, then there is no need to install, so I actually should not have got a notification at all.

Rick

1 Message

February 23rd, 2011 08:00

Same problem. I have Dell XPS 17 Core i7 740 QM. I have same errors.

Is there a solution yet?

Greetz

dv875

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2011 11:00

dv875,

Have not heard back from the engineers, yet.

Rick

1 Message

March 2nd, 2011 17:00

Same laptop same problem......very poor service from Dell

6 Posts

March 7th, 2011 03:00

Also same problem here:

I have a XPS L501x I7-740QM.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2011 06:00

Bretagne,

The Intel Wireless Display is NOT suppose to be compatible with the i7 processor. The error message from the Dell Support Center offering you the drivers is a mistake. The Dell Support Center has offered me the critical update and I already had the drivers installed.

Still waiting to hear any information from the Dell Technicians on the matter.

Rick

6 Posts

March 8th, 2011 01:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. Didn't understand from the previous posts that that was a fact. Thanks for the confirmation. Now it would be nice to have a way to remove this nagging "remind you to install the software" message from Dell support...

Good luck for your problems.

Andreas

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2011 01:00

Andreas,

I don't get a nagging reminder, I just got that it was already installed.

Can you give the exact error message or when it comes up, click PrntScr, the click start, all programs accessories, paint, file, paste. Save the image, then come back here, reply, click the filmstrip and upload the image here.

Thanks,

Rick

6 Posts

March 9th, 2011 10:00

Rick,

Here's a screen copy of the reminder (not the actual pop-up, which seems to appear only every few days, but the alert within Dell's Support Center). Sorry, it's in frogies language... :emotion-1:

It just says it's a critical alert and that the wireless application is available and should be installed:

When trying to install the drivers, it says that the plateform is not compatible, that the configuration has been changed (?) and you should start again the configuration with a compatible plateform. ... and the circle goes on ...

If there's a nice clean easy way to get ride of this reminder, then fine. But I will not bang my head against a wall if there isn't...

Andreas

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2011 10:00

Andreas,

Does it go away when you click on the little trash can, top right?

Rick

No Events found!