Highlighted
dk2132
1 Copper

RE: New order of XPS 13 (Confirm Coil Whine Fixed)

Hi,

In this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19538215?pi239031352=39#

Dell-Terry B confirms that the "coil whine" issue is fixed in all XPS 13 models shipping after the 5th of September.

I am planning to buy an XPS-13 9333 (i5/8GB/128GB) in Australia while it is still on sale (I have until September 11). Can I please have it confirmed that this unit will not have the coil whine issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
29 Replies
caprica70711
1 Copper

RE: RE: New order of XPS 13 (Confirm Coil Whine Fixed)

I would wait, new xps 13 with a broadwell CPU coming out in q3 2014 so no point in buying this laptop now

0 Kudos
dk2132
1 Copper

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

However,

1: Broadwell is not even out yet.

2: When Haswell was released, Dell took another 4-6 months to update the XPS 13 from Ivy Bridge. I predict it will be the same situation again with Broadwell.

0 Kudos

@Dk2132,

I have confirmation from Dell engineering. Any XPS 13 systems manufactured on or after September 5th will have the revised motherboard. This applies to XPS 12 (9Q33), XPS 13 (9333), XPS 15 (9530) and Precision M3800.

For systems purchased before September 5th that have the noise, customers can call Dell Tech Support and advise of internal document ID SLN293550.

Here's how to contact Dell technical support:http://www.dell.com/support/incidents/us/en/19/Phone/Phonetagentry?tnt=1

I encourage feedback, discussion or questions posted on this thread.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

dk2132
1 Copper

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully this post will address some other peoples concerns also.

0 Kudos
ceemod
1 Copper

Let's see, waiting for my replacement board right now.

0 Kudos
bogmike
1 Copper

Have been trying to get a resolution on my XPS 13 since May. I've had them replace the motherboard (as they insisted) to no avail. After hours upon hours on support, they finally conceded and offered to replace my unit with an entirely new one. They assured me it would be the new one with the new motherboard and the i7-4510U processor (vs the 4505U that I have in my current machine).

I just received the new unit today. Turned it on -- and instant whine. I'm baffled. Either their entire engineering group has hearing loss & doesn't hear it, they collectively work in an extremely loud working environment where it could be heard, or they simply don't know how to resolve this issue.

My money is on the third. I give up. Great machine, but with a huge engineering flaw that means I have no option but to recommend to everyone NOT to buy this unit.

0 Kudos
dk2132
1 Copper

Mine arrived today.

Frustratingly, it too still has the issue.

It would be good to hear from Dell as there was an assurance in my case that it has been fixed.

0 Kudos
bogmike
1 Copper

I had the same assurances. Sadly, it is clear that the engineering folks building the units don't know how to resolve the issue in this footprint/design, and the customer support folks are just given a line to tow.

0 Kudos
dhkl
1 Copper

Dell technician replaced my motherboard, charging port and adapter earlier today because the laptop stopped charging. I had specifically quoted the internal document number above and asked for the new replacement board that fixes the coil whining.

I am also somewhat disappointed that the whining is still there when the keyboard backlight LED is dimmed, but it seems like the whining has been reduced, which is good enough for me.

IMHO, the new board is still worth getting.

0 Kudos