Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2014 02:00

RE: New order of XPS 13 (Confirm Coil Whine Fixed)

Hi,

In this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19538215?pi239031352=39#

Dell-Terry B confirms that the "coil whine" issue is fixed in all XPS 13 models shipping after the 5th of September.

I am planning to buy an XPS-13 9333 (i5/8GB/128GB) in Australia while it is still on sale (I have until September 11). Can I please have it confirmed that this unit will not have the coil whine issue.

Thanks

October 23rd, 2014 17:00

Just adding my weight to the people who have the supposedly updated boards but still have coil whine.

in a quiet environment it's unuseable

2 Posts

October 27th, 2014 16:00

I bought the Dell XPS 13 on Sept 6, and received it around Sept 16. 

The coil whine is definitely noticeable, and I can't use this laptop in my law school's library. I don't like using it alone, either, because it gives me a headache.

I wish I had returned the laptop when I had the chance. 

edit: It's a shame because the laptop really is a beautiful piece of machinery! The aesthetic of the laptop is great.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2014 18:00

Just letting you guys know. I have now returned the laptop. When I ordered the Dell XPS 13 they confirmed that it came with the "revised" board.

Dell cannot fix this common coil whine issue therefore don't order this laptop!! I do not recommend it!!

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 00:00

I have had the monitor replaced, the motherboard replaced and the battery replaced and the noise persists.  If they have "fixed" this problem on certain model motherboards I've now talked to 4 different dell techs that have no idea the problem even exists and is so pervasive. 

I made a video demonstrating the problem:

1 Message

December 5th, 2014 03:00

I bought the XPS 13 (9333) in the middle of November 2014 and the noise problem is still there. I don't understand that Dell can release a laptop which has such issue. Don't they test their products before they release them? Or are they employing only old deaf people? I really regret that I bought this device and won't buy any other Dell device in the future.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 10:00

I don't understand at all either.  I've actually had 5 motherboard replacements, and been sent a newly refurbished unit and every one has had the same problem.  I am now waiting on my 2nd refurbished replacement but really Dell should just refund my money.

59 Posts

December 6th, 2014 05:00

Sorry to say, but you let them actually replace your motherboard 5 times?????

GET YOUR MONEY BACK OR GET A LAWYER

1 Message

December 20th, 2014 20:00

Just want to add that the coil whine issue STILL EXISTS. Just bought mine today from a microsoft store promo and it is definitely going right back after I could confirm the coil whine. Just one of those things that will drive you crazy over time.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2015 09:00

Hello, I too purchased a 4289 from that same $899 promo and returned it due to coil whine. I really like the quality and form factor of the XPS 13 though, so when I saw the new XPS 13 with the Infinity screen and aluminum bottom I bought one. Was also a microsoft store offer at $899 with less RAM and disk than the 4289 but greater battery life. I was very happy to find it does not have coil whine issues. Super build quality. Really nice touchpad and keyboard and the screen is awesome. I can recommend it if you're still interested in the XPS.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

In France, after many days of phone calls to support for my Precision M3800, they told me. "Quality Service will give you an answer in ONE MONTH". WTF ? This laptop is high prices (more than 2000 euros).

They only know to change motherboard, keyboards. But problem persist.

And they still SELL this *** ???

February 1st, 2015 00:00

Dear Dell 

I see a xps 13 is on the way. If that fixes the coil whine then will you update my model to this new version? 

February 12th, 2015 15:00

Anybody tried the new model xps 13? Is there a coil whine?

4 Posts

February 12th, 2015 15:00

There is NO coil whine, and it's a really nice system. I've had mine for about a month now and it's great. Sat next to a MacBook air user on a plane, XPS is way nicer, especially the screen. The touchpad is the best I've ever used. Purchased from the Microsoft store.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

lucky you,

I own a new XPS 13 (9350) and have access to another one and BOTH of them have this ANNOYING coil whine problem.

It is very irritating in silent locations

This was our first and last Dell purchase we are really dissapointed

No Events found!