Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2016 21:00

REost product key for dell-inspiron N51110 laptop w windows 7 home basic OS

hi!

i seem to have lost my product key...the label on bottom of the laptop is also torn so that i have last 5 chars missing from the key.....

This is a dell Inspiraon N51110 laptop with Windows 7 home basic installed. I have change my hard-drive and now need product key for re-installing the OS.

The service tag of laptop =Removed by Admin

Express service code : Removed by Admin

is there any way to retrieve the PRODUCT-KEY?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 15th, 2016 05:00

There's no way to retrieve a product key - but if you use the Dell OEM Windows 7 media, you do not need a key (it's pre-activated when installed on a Dell system).  If you did not prepare the media ahead of time, you will need to contact Dell to purchase a set now.

12 Posts

September 15th, 2016 10:00

what is a Dell OEM windows 7 media? Never heard of it......

why is it that you make it so hard for customer when he has already paid heftily for the hw and sw when he brought the genuine laptop? is it out of fashion and/or a crime to be customer friendly? you don't give OS-install disks...you dont provide proper drivers in the driver disk[i had to frantically search all over the wed to get the right driver for wlan]....and now product key? problems seem endless here......And you leave the customer high and dry w/o any help? even  for basic stuff? so what is the point ?

This is so frustrating!  Trusting Dell has been a big mistake.

Things get lost over a period of time; Just like the service-tag , why cant the S/W product key maintained on your site? So when i do dell-verify...it automatically validates and activates the SW as well.... not asking for skies here.....is this so difficult? I see that you are doing this on purpose to just fleece the customer......kudos to you!  not sure how long will you thrive on such a flawed business-model.

Buying key is no problem....but the feeling that you are being cheated unnecessarily leaves a big bad taste in mouth., Cheers to you!!!!!

12 Posts

September 15th, 2016 10:00

Amazing....called up microsoft....and they were much more understanding....and enabled the KEY!!!! sorry you lost a few dollars......and a customer in me......I hated MS all my life....but now my vote is with them.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 16th, 2016 16:00

You need to use Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation. For Windows 7 OEM this is offline BIOS based Product Activation. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/ 

No Events found!