Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2012 18:00

Random spikes of low fps and audio static

Recently, if I've had a game open (TF2, Counterstrike, LoL etc.) for a while, every so often I will have random spikes of low FPS (2-10), and at the same time as the FPS drops all of my system audio will go staticy (hard to describe, somewhat similar to if you half unplug headphones and twist them).

I've been googling for a bit, most people say that it is something to do with a faulty power supply (I use a laptop), but mine is working fine.

Anybody got ideas on how I could fix it / what could be causing it?

Thanks.

My laptop is an Inspiron n5110 which I've had for 13 months.

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

Hi ryank94,

I suggest you update the Video Card drivers to its latest version. You can download the driver from the following link:
http://dell.to/Qnizfs

1. On the page, enter the system Service Tag in the “Yes” section and click on “Submit.”
2. In the next page, click on “Video” and download the listed video driver.  
3. Follow the instructions provided on the page to finish installing the driver.

Installing the new driver may fix the issue with the video card FPS and as well as the audio.

To gain better understanding, are there any applications running in the background?

Please reply to this message with your findings.

17 Posts

September 11th, 2012 00:00

I usually have Firefox, Skype, Steam running in the background.

1.8K Posts

September 11th, 2012 12:00

Hi ryank94,

Thank you for your reply. I suggest you to stop these three applications that are running in the background while playing games as some of them may use the system resources which, in turn causes FPS and audio issues. Please let me know your findings.

No Events found!