Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2012 05:00

Realtek and Surround sound

Hello, I have the Dell XPS L502x on Windows 8 with the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I currently have a sony HT-AS5 surround sound is it possible to have the Realtek driver mange the surround sound or isn't it possible, if not is there anyother software you could reccoment

Sam :) 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi sambristow,

XPS L502X supports 5.1 channel audio through HDMI. If connected to analog port, it will support only 2.1  channel.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 7th, 2012 07:00

XPS L502X supports 5.1 channel audio through HDMI. If connected to analog port, it will support only 2.1  channel.

That is not quite correct. The XPS L502x DOES support 5.1 surround sound through the 3 analog audio jacks if you are using a 5.1 analog speaker system. If you are using an audio system that requires a digital signal the L502x can output digitall audio through the  headphone jack socket marked s/pdif. Or one can use the HDMI port as Sujatha said.

I have to leave now so can't go into details right now.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 7th, 2012 17:00

The XPS L502x DOES support 5.1 surround sound through the 3 analog audio jacks if you are using a 5.1 analog speaker system.

1. Connect the speakers together by following the diagram in the manufacturer's instructions, but do not connect them to the laptop yet.

2. On the laptop, go to Start>Control Panel> Realtek HD Audio Manager> Speaker/Headphone> Speaker setup. See the screen shot below. (Note: this assumes that the Realtek audio driver is installed on the laptop. It was pre-installed at the factory so unless it has been removed you should not have to install it.)

3. In the "Configuration" drop-down box -- the box with the down arrow -- click the arrow and select  "5.1Speaker".

4. Connect the 5.1 speaker system to the laptop using regular stereo cables with a mini phone plug (3.5 mm plug) on each end.

a.  Connect the rear speakers to the laptop's microphone jack socket.

b.  Connect the center/sub speaker to the left headphone jack socket.

c.  Connect the front speakers to the right headphone jack socket.

5. Power up the speakers.

6. On the laptop, click the "Audio Test".  If the audio does not come out of the correct speakers, re-arrange the cables.

If you are using an audio system that requires a digital signal the L502x can output digitall audio through the  headphone jack socket marked s/pdif.

Use a mini toslink adapter in the jack socket marked s/pdif.

Sam, I don't know if this answers your question about whether the Realtek audio driver can manage surround sound or if there is other software we would recommend. I don't really understand that question -- don't know what information you are seeking. I just wanted to correct some erroneous information.

No Events found!