Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 11th, 2009 21:00

Recording from Line Input on Inspiron 1720 Running Vista Ultimate SP1

Hi,

I'm trying to use an Audio Capture program to record from my Walkman cassette. The capture software has a Device dropdown list that only shows the mic. No Line In input. I wrote the software developer and he responded with a screenshot of his installation, which clearly shows a separate Line In input. When I check the Sound|Recording tab by right-clicking the Volume icon in the System Tray, it shows a single device named Microphone/Line In. My audio device is a SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC , and I'm running the latest driver (6.10.0.5614, dated 9/13/2007) downloaded from the Dell website.

My multi-part question is:

1. Is the SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC configured as a single device for both Microphone and Line In?
  2. If not, how do I get the Line In device to appear in both the device configuration, and in my capture software?
  3. If yes, how can I set which device does the sound capture?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 12th, 2009 05:00

The input jack is supposed to double as either a line-in or a mic jack. When you insert a plug it should detect it and show a popup box on the screen that asks you to select between mic or line-in. If this box is not appearing, go to Start/Control Panel/ Sigmatel and check the 'allow popups' box (this is the path for XP but it should be similar in Vista). Then plug into the jack again. If the box still doesn't appear you might try re-installing the audio driver or even try an older version of it.

2 Posts

March 12th, 2009 18:00

Thank you, Jimco. It behaved exactly as you indicated. I got the pop-up and selected LineIn, then managed to do a test recording. I couldn't get the 'Allow popups' box though. Going to Control Panel|Hardware and Sound|Sound|Recording tab does not show the box anywhere, even when a cable is plugged into Mic/Line In. Since I got the popup, there is not real urgency. But just in case it disappears on me, please let me know where that box is in Vista if you can figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 12th, 2009 19:00

The problem is that I don't have Vista, but some Vista owners had told me it was in the same place as it is in XP.

No Events found!