Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

4 Posts

December 12th, 2007 21:00

Refurbished laptop sent wrong power adapter

I purchased a refurbished e-1705 from Dell in September of 2006 it had been originally sold
in Canada and then returned and refurbished and sold to me in the United States.  The laptop has been great and other than having to replace the video card under warranty I had no issues.

After the warranty expired I had a RAM chip go bad, I took it to a Dell certified technician that replaced the RAM and then asked me if I had had any other problems with the laptop.  I told him about the video card and he also asked if the power adapter that I had brought in was the one that I had received with the unit.  I told them it was, he then explained to me that what Dell had sent me was a two prong non-grounded AC adapter and that I should have received a three prong grounded adapter since the unit was sold in the United States.

The technician then showed me by recording audio on my laptop that there was a 60 Hz hum that was being recorded along with any voice.  He then found that customers laptop that had been left there for repair it was also a 1705 and he took power adapter from it which was a three prong grounded power adapter plugged into my unit and did the recording tests again this time there was no hum.

I have been on the telephone for over four hours today speaking with Dell support people who are obviously not in America, and have no conception of what my issue is.  All they keep telling me is that my system is out of warranty, which I know and that if I want to speak to someone it will cost me $39.95.

I would like to try to find a phone number for Dell that is located here in the United States so that I may speak with someone who can understand what the issue is.  My laptop having been originally sold in Canada where non-grounded AC power is the standard and then having been returned to be refurbished and resold to me in the United States should have had that two-pronged non-grounded adapter removed and a three prong grounded adapter put in its place.

Besides being a fire hazard, a shock hazard, and having the 60 Hz hum can not be good for the laptop itself all I want is to be able to exchange the adapter that was sent to me that is a non-compliant US adapter with a three-pronged adapter that is grounded.  So that I may be able to use my laptop without doing any further damage to it.

My warranty expired in September 2007 and everybody I e-mail at Dell or anybody I can seem to talk to on the telephone keep telling me that my warranty has expired and I realize this, but I feel that this is an issue that predates the sale of the machine to me and should have been caught at the Dell refurbishing center.

So if anyone here, another end-user or a moderator can give me a phone number so that I may speak to someone at Dell who is physically in America who can understand that we use three phase power I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You
David Brown

940 Posts

December 12th, 2007 23:00

You did get the right power supply. Dell ships them out mostly with the 2 pin cord. You can buy the 3 pin cord at most computer shops for about $5 - $10 and it will work just fine and give you the grounding you are wanting. Most every laptop I have gotten from Dell has come with the 2 pin cord, the power supply itself is the same either way.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2007 00:00

I just went and checked my wife's Inspiron 1150 hers has a three prong 65 W adapter and the adapter itself has three pins in the adapter itself.  If it were a simple as the cord itself I would've changed it.
Unless there is something I am missing, while I am not electronics expert or an electrician I have to rely on what I've been told.  If there is a simple remedy to this issue as simple as purchasing another cord I would be wide open to that idea.  But I have been to my local RadioShack and to other stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City and every replacement cord they have has three plugs that will have to fit into an adapter with three pins, and thus my issue my adapter only has two pins and a three plug cord will not fit.
Believe me if my wife's 65 W adapter would work I would be using it right now instead of this 90 W adapter that I am stuck with.  And while I know that it will work as far as powering the machine to machine will then speed step down to the point where it is so slow that is almost unusable.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2007 00:00

I beg to differ every laptop I have ever bought from Dell has had a three-pronged grounded adapter except for this one.  I cannot simply replaced the cord as it will not fit.  If that were the case I would just change the cord with another adapter I have.
This adapter that we shipped with my unit is what from what Dell support has told me is an international adapter.  It does not have a ground plug and only has two pins on the adapter itself not three.

940 Posts

December 13th, 2007 14:00

I was just telling you what my experience has been. I have about 30 Dell Latitude D810's here at work, an Inspiron 1100 & 1720 at home, all of them have a 2 prong plug that goes into the wall but the power supplies all have 3 prong on the adapter.
There were some threads not to long ago were people were getting a small shock when touching thier laptops and Dell did send them the 3 prong cord.

243 Posts

December 13th, 2007 17:00

Contact one of the moderators on this forum and get them to read your post.  Maybe they can look into it and offer some help.  Also, what about the Dell technician who you took the laptop to?  Couldn't he help you out as well perhaps?

4 Posts

December 14th, 2007 14:00

The technician that called my attention to the issue is a "Dell Certified Tech" that works for a local shop. He suggested trying to work it out will Dell before buying another adapter.
No Events found!