Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2011 04:00

Reinstalling Windows 7 on Dell Studio 1555 without DVD Drive

My Dell Studio is out of warranty. The DVD Drive No longer reads DVD discs.

Also my Windows 7 crashed and laptop has some how got reset to factory settings, in other words when I attempt to boot the laptop now it wont go beyond the BIOS.

I tried to boot it over by trying to create a bootable USB using a friends laptop, but when trying to do that I realised that the reinstallation DVD that dell provided me with the laptop too is defective. I have tried using that DVD on 4 to 5 different systems and every where the system would simply not read the DVD.

What are the options I now have to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop, any help will be much appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 11th, 2012 14:00

Have you ran the diagnostics on your unit? Power it down and hold F12 as you power it up, run the diagnostics and any extended tests. 

You should have a Windows 7 COA sticker on the base of your system or under your battery compartment. Providing you can read it, you should have a 25 digit product code.

Take a note of it. I will take you through the reinstallation procedure using retail media.

As you can see in my sticker above, it is for Windows 7 Home Premium. You will need to check your version on your COA likely it will be Home Premium on this model. Take the 64 bit version of Home Premium. Next you may download Windows 7 from Digital River and create a bootable USB for reinstallation. The instructions for doing this and the download links may be found in my wiki Official Microsoft Windows 7 .iso Downloads (Digital River). Once you have this bootable USB you should follow my complementary wiki A Clean Install of Windows which will guide you through the manual reinstall procedure.

1 Message

February 11th, 2012 14:00

Dell Studio 1555

February 12th, 2012 20:00

Thanks natakuc4 ...

I tried for several days with Windows ISO Files sourced from several places, but that every time my laptop just would not install off the ISO from the Pen Drive. Finally I Managed to get an external DVD Drive and a Windows 7 Home Premium DVD and thats what worked for me.

The Information You Put up is a big help any way. Will use it the next time I may have to do something of this sort :)

No Events found!