Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2013 10:00

Removable Devices signification in BIOS

Hi all,

Does "Removable Devices" in the BIOS of a VOSTRO 1510 labtop means that an external USB CD ROM Drive will be recognize as such.

in other words, if I put in this external USB CD ROM drive a Windows Installation DVD and set up the BIOS to Boot via Removable Decices, the Windows installation will start?

The reason of that question is because the internal CD\DVD Drive of the Vostro does not recognize the Microsoft installation DVD.

This is the reason why I have been obliged to plug an External USB CD/DVD Drive which is working well. But again I wonder if I can use it to install Windows on the labtop'

thanks in adavnce for your answers.

regards

kalmos

October 26th, 2013 01:00

Hi Kalmos,

Removable Devices option is related to the PCI cards connected to the system.

Yes, you may install the windows using an external CD/DVD drive.

Connect the USB external drive CD/DVD drive and insert the operating system CD into the drive.

Go to the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ by pressing 5-6 times on the Dell logo and select the CD/DVD drive option for the external optical drive and not the internal CD/DVD drive.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

9 Posts

October 26th, 2013 02:00

Hi kuldeep M

thanks for your answer.

I cańt try this week end, the laptop is not in front of me. Next week I will make the installation.

Additionnal question if you are ok.

As far as I remember yesterday, having the external CD/DVD Drive connected, when I pressed F12, I did not see the possibility to chose between the external or internal Drive. The menu has proposed "CD ROM Drive".

Then do you mean that the bios will chose the Drive having the installation CD inside and start?

regards

kalmos

October 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Kalmos,

The external CD/DVD drive will be recognized and listed as a USB device.

You will have to choose the USB CD/DVD drive option to boot from the external drive. Choosing the internal CD/DVD drive will not boot from the external USB optical drive.

You may try the installation once you have time and share the results.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

9 Posts

October 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi kuldeep,

Installation of W7 done. Yes we have to set up the Bios to boot via CD/DVD Drive with the external USB DVD drive connected, but I did not had a message asking to chose between internal or external DVD drive. As the installation DVD is in the External Drive, the installation starts.

My Vostro 1510 is now running  Windows 7 Pro 64bits without any problem.

thanks for your support'

have a very good day.

regards

kalmos

October 29th, 2013 01:00

Hi Kalmos,

Glad to know that you were able to reinstall windows and the system is working fine now.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!