Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2015 12:00

Replace and load os on hard drive for inspiron 1545

I replaced the hard drive on my inspiron 1545 and tried to restore it with the dell data safe disks that I made when I got the machine.  Windows 7 loaded but I couldn't do anything with it,  It was very slow, I couldn't even get it to update. So I loaded in the windows 7 disk that came with it and now I have windows up and running and updated.  My question is what drivers do I need to install.  I went to dell/support and entered my service tag number and it came up with a list of drivers (46 of them), some I know I need but others seem to be for things I don't know if I have on the computer.  How do I know which ones I need?

Also I read something about a file called Dell System Software but its not on the drivers list.  Do I need it or not?

January 4th, 2015 13:00

Hi Gary,

Here is a Dell article on the entire Driver process (just to get you started and cover all the possibilities):

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128900

There is also a Driver installation order article giving very good information on the ORDER in which Drivers *should be* installed due to possible dependencies they have on each other:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130608/EN

NOTE: There may be certain Drivers which can be skipped IF you will not be using those features.  Well, UNOFFICIALLY (IMHO) anyway.  I do not load Drivers for "AMT" (Active Management Technology) because the computers I work on will not be managed remotely using this method.  Part of the task of doing a "clean" reload is determining which Drivers suit your specific needs.

Here is one other extensive areticle on reinstallation of Drivers under Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit), just so you have access to more than one source of information on the topic:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19390190

Good luck!  ~ VAVB

(all opinions expressed are my own and presented for the general benefit of the Community at large)

3 Posts

January 4th, 2015 14:00

Thank for the info.  I have already found the article on driver installation order.  I am still a little confused about what drivers to install.  Sounds like I may have to wing it and see what happens.  The last article talks a little about Device Manager, that might be a good place to look for all the features I have that need drivers.  I will check it out. 

Thanks again

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 5th, 2015 08:00

3 Posts

January 5th, 2015 20:00

Yes all this info is helping a lot. I now know how to find what drivers I need for what hardware.  Downloading them from Dell is my next step.  Windows device manager shows everything ok but I am getting the feeling that I need to update some things.  I believe my network card is one of them because downloads are really slow. 

I do have one more question that still needs an answer.  There is a file called "Dell System Software" that I have seen mentioned in one of the above threads.  Do I need to install it or not.  I will download it as long as I am doing the download.

Thanks again for the help

No Events found!