Highlighted
Nokoyashi
1 Copper

Replaced Hard disk, still getting "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"

I have a Latitude E6420, got error code 2000-0142 and blue screen. I replaced the hard drive with a new one. I put the new drive in and reboot. I am still getting "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable".

In BIOS setup, i had my HDD as the first to boot already. I ran a Diagnostic test and got:

Error Code 2000-0142 Validation 119106

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 6WS1712X, Long Self test unsuccessful.

What can I do next? I have a new hard drive put in and still getting this?

Please HELP!!

Many Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Replaced Hard disk, still getting "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"

You must install WIndows onto the new drive -- it is blank when it arrives from the factory.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: Replaced Hard disk, still getting "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"

Ejn63 may have a different take on this, but the PXE Boot option normally means the system is trying to boot from a network location, which probably one of your boot priorities.

Having a properly configured drive and setting it or the Windows Boot Manager (Legacy or UEFI) should be accessed first and stop that message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Nokoyashi
1 Copper

Yes, here's where I need some some help.

I have Windows 10 and the old drive gave me this error and blue-screened on me. So, I bought a new HDD.

Now I have the new HDD and it is blank. I already installed it into the laptop. I suspect I need a BOOT USB file to boot up Windows 10 and then install Windows 10 onto the blank HDD?

I generated this Win10_1703_English_x64.iso file. Should I copy this ISO file onto an USB drive and use it to boot up the blank HDD? For some reasons, I have trouble copying this file onto a USB drive that has more than enough space for it but keep complaining that the volume is not large enough.

Any hint/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Easy to use utility for creating a bootable flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

(you can't simply copy the ISO file to the flash drive - it is not bootable that way).

0 Kudos
Nokoyashi
1 Copper

Thanks very much.

I created a bootable flash drive using the link you provided.

I booted up the new HDD using the USB drive. I am still getting:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

But, it carried on with the FreeDOS kernel 2042 --- WATCOMC - FAT32 support....it went into C: HD1 and listed 4 illegal partition tables - srive 01 sector 0 and gave me access to C:\>

When I did a "dir", I saw the AUTOEXEC BAT and the AUTORUN INF and ICO files.

What can I do now to install Windows 10 on my new hard drive?

Many Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Make sure your flash drive is listed first on your boot list order (in setup).  Remove the PXE boot from that list.

Or, make sure you press F12 a few times after powering on, and boot manually to the flash drive.

0 Kudos

The fact that the replacement drive has also failed diagnostics would suggest that it is faulty too. Do you have another system you can try it in to verify that?

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
KMSTORY
1 Copper

PXE stands for Pre eXecution Environment; with PXE, your computer is trying to boot over ethernet. That error means that either you don't have an ethernet cable plugged in or your ethernet cable is damaged in some way. It has nothing to do with your hard drive.

Go into your BIOS settings, find the Ethernet/network settings, and set your ethernet adapter to enabled without PXE. That will make that error go away. You're unlikely to ever need PXE, unless you're in an enterprise environment or want to mess around with network booting.

lasseponken
1 Copper

You have not made a proper Bootable Windows 10 USB Stick. You made a FreeDOS bootable USB Stick.

In Rufus, which you downloaded from the link in the above post, you need to click, where it says "Create a bootable disk using", Default is "FreeDOS", click on it and change to "ISO image", then click on the icon with the CD and CD-Reader. Browse to where your ISO file with windows is located. Then click on start. It should take 20+ minutes to create the USB stick.

0 Kudos