Highlighted
MarkTho
1 Nickel

Replacement Power Supply for an Alienware M15x ... can I use one from an M17x?

I'm looking to buy an extra Power Adapter for my Alienware M15x that I just got this week. I'm not very proficient on understanding Watts ver. Voltage ver. Ampage, so please bear with me if this is a naieve question.

Dell have an M15x AC Adapter, rated at 150W for $119.00

However, after reading the information on throttling occuring in the M15x in other threads here, and the conclusions that a lot of the problem is caused by a lack of power - some people on the thread postulate that 180W is really what's needed - I'm wondering if the Power Adapter for the Alienware M17x will power the M15x? The M17x Power Adapter is rated at 210W, which should be more than adequate I would have thought, but I'm concerned about the ampage. It's also $119.00.

The M15x 150W AC Adapter shows an output of 19.5V and 7.7A

The M17x 210W AC Adapter shows an output of 19.5V and 12.3A

Am I going to end up frying the M15x if I use the M17x AC Adapter?

The machine's got the AMD/ATI 5850 GPU, 1080p LCD Panel, Core i7, 6Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD and a BD Drive.

Many thanks,

mark thompson

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Re: Replacement Power Supply for an Alienware M15x ... can I use one from an M17x?

You won't fry the M15x if you use the M17x AC Adapter.

When the output DC voltage is the same and the output DC current is equal to or greater for the 2nd AC adapter versus the AC adapter currently being used, you will be fine.

0 Kudos