Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 05:00

Replacing Standard Hard Drive for SSD Options?

Looking to replace the standard 1TB HD plus 32GB SD installed set up with a 256 SSD in new XPS15 (L521X).

What is the recommended option, remove both standard drives and just use the new 256 SSD or keep the 32GB as well? I'm not sure how the standard is configured. Do I need SATA or mSATA connection on the new drive?

Any help appreciated.

3.8K Posts

March 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. You will not be able to upgrade the 1TB hard drive, however you can upgrade to a 512 GB SSD-Sata 3, size 1.18" x 2". You cannot run the system only on a SSD drive, as the operating system is loaded on to the main hard drive.

Thank you.

31 Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

From doing a bit of research we have 2 upgrade options.

1. Replace the mSATA 32GB SSD with one large enough (128-512GB) to move over and run the OS from. And keep the 1TB hard drive and use as storage for files. In order to do this you apparently need to change a few settings in the BIOS. Some good articles online how to do this.

2. Keep the mSATA 32GB cache drive where it is and replace only the 1TB standard HD for an SSD and continue to run the OS from this drive main drive (the larger SSD).

I've decided on Option 2. replacing the 1TB HD for a Samsung 840 Pro to run the OS (dual-boot W8 and Ubuntu - if possible and TBC) and leave the 32GB mSATA where it is. Because I have an 12TB NAS for storage I don't need much storage space.

Let's hope it works!

Cheers

Ian  

February 26th, 2014 06:00

I have a brand new XPS 15 with 1TB HDD (5400 rpm) with a 32GB mSata. I bought a Samsung EVO 500GB and I pretend to replace the 1TB HDD and Keep de mSata32Gb.

In this situation, before replace the HDD, it is possible to use Dell Backup & Restore and create a System Restore USB Pen drive and use it to boot on the new SSD?

No Events found!