Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 5th, 2013 01:00

Replacing or Adding Samsung SSD 840 EVO BIOS not detecting drive in primary bay Precision M4700 Laptop

Replacing or Adding Samsung SSD 840 EVO BIOS not detecting drive in primary bay Precision M4700 Laptop

After searching several support sites and playing with this for a couple hours I found the solution.

First:  I used a 2nd HDD caddy (newmodeus.com) to add the drive in the DVD bay.  This was to copy all files from current drive to new SSD.

Used Disk Management to initialize and format the drive.  No problem.  Manually cloned the drive.  Cannot use Samsung utility if not doing OS drive.

Removed the current hard drive and swapped the drives SSD into prime caddy and original into 2nd DVD caddy.  Inserted SSD into primary bay, old drive into DVD bay.

Rebooted, bios did not detect SSD drive, but did find old drive in DVD bay.  Played with this for the couple hours.  New bios installed.  Changed settings.  Research (many have this problem - various hardware.)

Solution!  Inside the bay, you cannot see the connection of the drive to the motherboard.  It is not seated so will not be detected.

I had an unused, very small rubber foot from another device with a sticky bottom.  Attached it to the primary drive caddy near the end under the connectors and put the drive in the caddy.  Installed.  Rebooted.  Instantly detected by bios.

Not detected by bios issues with SSD drives should always check cables and connections first.  If you have a 2nd HDD bay to swap the drive (not available on the M4700) that solution has worked for other PCs with this problem.

Final working configuration:

A mcard 128GB Boot SSD, a SSD 840 EVO 1TB primary drive, the original spindle Drive/Blu-ray drive to swap as needed.

PM840 SSD performance (Magician):  SR 550..., SW 535... then after tuning system:  SR 1042... SW  971...

PM830 SSD mSATA after tuning:  SR 276...  SW 255...

Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3 connected:  SR 159  SW 183  (note:  no dots are correct)

Cheers, Jeff

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 03:00

Hi Jeff,

I just have the same issue with evo 750 Gb and dell precision m4600. As you described while ssd was in the caddy in primary bay (I have only one actually) and seemed to be plugged in, it was not detectable by bios.

After reading your post I found out samsung's ssd is indeed thinner than original hdd and so connectors lie a bit lower than required. By attaching some plastic with needed thickness I could solve my issue

Thanks again

Artem

6 Posts

April 18th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for this.   Had the same problem with a Crucial M500 SSD in my M4600.

Was not recognized by the BIOS.   Saw lots of really misleading/stupid advice for this problem elsewhere (SATA/AHCI/Raid settings, MBR fix.. etc), but it was as you say, not making physical contact.    Of course when I looked in the original box for the SSD drive, I found a little rectangular plastic ring with some adhesive tabs on it, that sticks to the bottom of the drive which increases its thickness from 7mm to 9.5mm to match the original HD.    Applied spacer, installed, recognized by the BIOS without issue. 

No Events found!