Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2015 13:00

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Event id: 129 storahci

Hi,

I have a DELL XPS 13 9343.
I have made a Clean install of Windows 10 and downloaded drivers from dell.com.
I am also running Hyper-V.
I get repeated Warnings in my System Envent Viewer saying:

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
Source: storahci

Just Before i get these events my computer freezes for 10-20 sec. and I can´t do anything.
This is very anoying and I hope there is a fix for this?
Thanks in advance.

16 Posts

January 9th, 2016 19:00

I am also experiencing this issue on an Inspiron 7437 and have been attempting to find a solution for several months now. I have done clean installs of windows 10 as well and I have posted on the Dell forums with no response. Same exact issue except the source for me is iaStora.

1 Message

January 11th, 2016 06:00

I also had this issue. The Windows System Log showed Event 129 several times behind each other. In my case the issue was caused by two bad clusters on the hard disk. Appearantly the hardisk controller attempted to read from these clusters without result. After the defauls time-out period (HKLM\CurrentControlSet\services\Disk, parameter "TimeOutValue") of 60 seconds (may be different depending on hardware), the controller issues a reset for a new attempt. Appearantly the number of resets is also limited because I always saw 6 consecutive resets in the system log. During the HD reading attempts the system stalls because the harddisk is awaiting the read (or write) result.
The problem was solved by performing a CHKDSK /R (which may take several hours!).
Notice that CHKDSK may seem to hang because it shows no progress for a long time, in particular while repairing clusters. Please be patient because most of the time suddenly it continues after some time.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2016 07:00

Sad to hear that you also have these problems.

I hope for both of us that DELL is reading this and can come up with a sollution. I still havn´t found one.

16 Posts

January 13th, 2016 10:00

I have tried running CHKDSK /R but no errors are found.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2016 14:00

I recently had a similar problem on a Lenovo Y500 that had a 1 TB HDD with a 16 GB SSD configured for caching using Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). Same event log messages, freezes, bad clusters. I attempted to recover/repair the SSD and HDD. Sometimes errors would be reported/fixed, sometimes it would freeze, sometimes no errors reported.  The problem would always eventually re-appear. So I replaced the HDD and SSD with a single large SSD, works great.

5 Posts

January 18th, 2016 23:00

Nice that you solved your problem Llessur.

The last thing I tried was to upgrade the firmware for my SSD. But that did not fix my problem :(

16 Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

This error event seems to be linked to numerous causes so really not sure if this will work. There was a fairly significant driver update to the intel HD graphics card 4400 that was released a couple days ago. Not sure if you have an intel HD graphics card, but it might be worth seeing if yours has an update as well. I haven't had freezing for the last two days after updating it, which is the longest span I've seen. I downloaded through Dell's site and not intel's, although I don't believe Dell made any manufacturer changes to the driver.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2016 23:00

Hi Player647,

Thanks for your input. I have the latest driver installed for my Intel HD Graphics 5500. It is version 20.19.15.4300. I have the DELL XPS 13 9343. What computer are you running? Seemes to be another model.

16 Posts

January 21st, 2016 11:00

Well I just had the problem again, so I guess that didn't fix it. I have an inspiron 7437 with a hdd and ssd cache drive.

16 Posts

February 4th, 2016 14:00

Well I believe I have solved my issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled intel rapid storage technology and then disabled link power management (under performance > power and performance). I have seen solutions where this is disabled through the power plan of the computer but that never worked for me. Seems changing the setting within the intel software did the trick. 

5 Posts

February 9th, 2016 03:00

Hi player647,

When I look for the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" on the dell drivers support site for my XPS 13 in cant find that. Did you download it from the Dell site or from the Intel site?

16 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 10:00

Your XPS 13 probably only has a SSD drive. My computer has a HDD and SSD cache so the intel RST technology is used to "speed up" the HDD by storing frequently used data on the SSD. It sounds like you don't need this software on your computer. However, there is still a setting for link power management in the power settings. You might want to try turning it on/off and see if anything changes. If you google event id 129 technet blog an article should come up about it and on page two of the comments a user has more information about it. It sounds like your cause might be different then mine however.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2016 18:00

Download just the driver files for the raid controller from intel.

Unzip the files to the desktop.
Open Device Manager/Storage Controllers/Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller, and perform an update driver function,
pointing to the driver files u will download.

restart pc and u will never ever see this warning or get freezing screen cause of it.

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 02:00

I had exact the same problem on quite a lot of my dell systems. Here is how i solved the issue: 

First of all we need to change "AHCI Link Power Management" which is a hidden setting on power management. Open up registry editor and change the following settings. 

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60 

Change attributes from 1 to 2

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456

And again change Attributes from 1 to 2. 

Now go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options click on "Change Plan Settings" and then click on "Change advanced Power settings".

Now under "Hard disk" you should have AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM and AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive options. 

Change "AHCI Link power management" To active, which means there is no power management for AHCI and finally change Adaptive to 0 milliseconds (Although if you enabled "active" this option has no effect). 

Finally under "PCI Express" Change "Link State Power management" to OFF. 

I hope this will help you. 

Good luck!

1 Message

December 18th, 2016 08:00

Thanks a lot. I tried almost everything, but this solution was the only one that finally made the repeated freeze go away.

No Events found!