Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2012 19:00

Restore gone bad... 'BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL'

So, I was restoring my Mini 1012 to factory default. Did the 'F8' thing while rebooting, clicked through the various instructions/choices and the system was proceeding as expected.

Out of boredom, I picked up a mouse and it slipped out of my hand and landed on the edge of the keyboard. Probably hit the 'enter' key. That stopped the 'restore' and the screen became frozen. I had to do a hard power down. When I powered the system back up, it went to a screen with black background (like, command line) and stated:

BOOTMGR is missing

press CTRL+ALT+DEL

When I do the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing, the system reboots and goes right back to the same message: "BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL"

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2012 19:00

F12 at powerup - boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended test of the hard drive - you will likely find the impact destroyed the drive.

4 Posts

July 13th, 2012 21:00

ejn63 ...

Thanks for suggestion. I ran the diagnostics from start to finish (about an hour worth of testing). Got a 'pass' in all tests.

At the conclusion of the tests, there was an on screen message stating:

"Pre-boot system assessment, No diagnostic utility partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system"

I press the 'enter' button and the system boots to the screen noted originally above:

BOOTMGR is missing
press CTRL+ALT+DEL

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

P.S. - you probably know this, but if I tap the F8 key while booting, I can no longer get the screen that would allow me do a restore to factory default. The system simply goes to the message: 

BOOTMGR is missing
press CTRL+ALT+DEL

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 14th, 2012 03:00

At this point, you have no choice but to proceed with a manual reload of WIndows:

support.dell.com/.../document

No Events found!