Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2015 13:00

Running games on dedicated gpu on inspiron 5548

Hi, i have the dell inspiron 5548 with intel hd 5500 integrated graphics as well an AMD Radeon R7 M270 4gb of dedicated graphics. i play the game Counter Strike:Global Offensive and it runs only on 30 fps on low settings. Thats not how a 4gb graphics card should perform. I think that the game is using the integrated graphics instead of the dedicated one. Can you please tell me how to enable dedicated graphics.

My Specs:

Intel core i7 2.40 ghz

8gb ram

4gb gddr3 AMD R7M270 gpu

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 29th, 2015 13:00

Use the catalyst control panel to select the GPU for the game (or right-click on the game's icon and choose it from the AMD context menu that should appear when you do that).

Bear in mind though that your system does not have a dedicated GPU - the AMD GPU is a co-processor for the Intel GPU -- the Intel GPU is ALWAYS on and active, since there is no physical connection between the AMD GPU and the screen.  ALL video data - even that processed by the AMD GPU, passes through the Intel GPU on its way to the screen.

November 29th, 2015 12:00

even with using the Radeon R7 M270 GPU for gaming , it is c rap.

Horrible performance by this graphics card... it is not for gaming at all (even though they say it has 4 GB discreet memory).

I tried to play COD Advanced warfare, with the lowest settings, even then it crashes and over heats. 

*** laptop and *** GPU !  Pathetic Dell ! Pathetic AMD !

December 4th, 2015 17:00

I found many people out there with the same problems regarding Dell Inspiron 5548 and the AMD R7 M265 (mine) or M270 drivers in Windows 10. The support is patetic, they always talk us to configure the GPU inside Catalyst... Well, almost everybody with half a brain already did it before posting here.

I discovered that the last official Dell driver (Video_Driver_J45YN_WN32_15.201.1101_A01) makes the GPU be recognized (using GPU-Z to ensure) but the performance is more than horrible: lags and crashes in almost all games and applications, even lightweight to the GPU (Steam Big Picture is a good sample).

AMD made a nice work bringing the new Radeon Crimson Software with new drivers, but it seems not working with Dell Inspiron 5548 (installs well, but not really used).

Dell, please do something about this junk drivers!

December 5th, 2015 11:00

Honestly , the latest drivers for the Radeon R7 M270 on dell website ***.

I went to AMD website & Intel website , and installed the latest drivers , and tried playing COD Advanced Warfare , and it worked like magic ! Try doing that ! After un-installing what's on your machine.

December 5th, 2015 11:00

Unfortunatelly, the latest AMD drivers (with the new Crimson Software) recognizes my board as M260 (in fact it's M265), so the GPU isn't activated at all. Using GPU-Z it's possible to see 0% of GPU load for the Radeon even inside games (and of course, with the correct configuration to use the Radeon on Catalyst/Crimson) while Intel 5500 keeps on 100%. Dell has made some dumb customization to the R7 M265 board so the original AMD driver never works. And the official Dell driver is terrible, a patetic *** thing.

No Events found!