Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 27th, 2017 07:00

Running laptop on AC power long term

I have a Dell Latitude E5520, and my plan for this is to use it as the main computer in my shop, which means it will be used infrequently, will be plugged into A/C normally, but occasionally will be used away from the desk, and as such will be running on battery.

My question is - should I leave the battery in it, or take it out while it is my "workstation".  Or will it be OK to leave the battery in it while there?

9.4K Posts

July 27th, 2017 08:00

davejyd,

Thanks for posting.

There are several schools of thought on this, some say leaving the battery in will over charge it or cycle charges to it and diminish the life of the battery, and some that say that leaving the battery out will allow it to discharge completely and never charge again.  Who knows which is perfect?

There is a happy medium though, if you will check your power settings in Windows 10, you will see that there's a setting called desktop mode battery charge that will stop charging until the battery has reached a certain level, then start charging again, and will do this over and over with different battery levels to keep from building a memory effect.  I've used it on my Inspiron 15 for years, and hasn't damaged either the computer or the battery.  

Hopefully this information was helpful.  Please post back if you have additional questions.

5 Posts

July 28th, 2017 10:00

I cannot find this setting anywhere in my Dell settings - my question is if this is a Windows setting, or a Dell setting, as I used a "clean" installation disk to install/upgrade, and so far haven't installed any Dell software other than what was installed in Windows update (video/audio drivers, etc.)?

9.4K Posts

July 28th, 2017 13:00

Go here: http://dell.to/2uJBubw

Then follow the directions in the earlier post.

5 Posts

July 28th, 2017 13:00

OK - I will take a look at these settings and see if they will fit my needs - - but will this affect battery life/condition when the laptop is turned off (which it will be a large percentage of the time)?

9.4K Posts

July 31st, 2017 05:00

Hi davejyd,

As stated before, it will depend.  Here are some battery FAQ's you might find interesting: http://dell.to/2uQ3YQN

489 Posts

July 31st, 2017 07:00

> I cannot find this setting anywhere in my Dell settings

Check in Dell power manager (separate install on my XPS 15) or in BIOS settings.

9.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 05:00

Click/tap on the Power icon in the notification area, click/tap on Power & sleep settings

Click/tap on the Change plan settings link to the right of the power plan that you want to change the settings of.  Look for Desktop mode battery charge.

If you do not see it, then your version of Windows 10 may not include the program.

No Events found!