raks12345
2 Bronze

SATA 3 Hard disk will work with SATA2 - Inspiron N5050?

Jump to solution

Hi There

I have Dell Inspiron 15 N5050. Its Hard Drive is crash so I am looking for replacing it with new HDD.

Current config says abut my existing HDD as 

"400-24705 : Hard Drive : 1TB Serial ATA (5400RPM)

Part Number Quantity Description

5M94D1HARD DRIVE, 1T, S2, 5.4, 2.5, 512E, SMSNG-M8"

If I buy SATA3 HDD then will it work with my laptop?

Western Digital Black 500GB - internal hard drives (HDD, Serial ATA III, 0 - 60 °C, -40 - 65 °C)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QFXOL5G/ref=pe_385721_124845031_TE_item

Regards

Rakesh

Inspiron 15 N5050

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: SATA 3 Hard disk will work with SATA2 - Inspiron N5050?

Jump to solution

raks12345,

By design, all newer SATA standards are backwards compatible with older SATA standards and will fall back to the slower speed such that they will work. So it doesn't matter whether it is a SATA 1 controller with a SATA 3 drive or a SATA 3 controller with a SATA 1 drive, or any combination with SATA 2 as well, they should all work together just fine.

The only exception in my experience is that some older SATA drives require a 3.3 volt supply, while most drives work fine without it. This is a power supply issue not a SATA version issue.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: SATA 3 Hard disk will work with SATA2 - Inspiron N5050?

Jump to solution

raks12345,

By design, all newer SATA standards are backwards compatible with older SATA standards and will fall back to the slower speed such that they will work. So it doesn't matter whether it is a SATA 1 controller with a SATA 3 drive or a SATA 3 controller with a SATA 1 drive, or any combination with SATA 2 as well, they should all work together just fine.

The only exception in my experience is that some older SATA drives require a 3.3 volt supply, while most drives work fine without it. This is a power supply issue not a SATA version issue.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos