Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2015 09:00

SB recon 3di acting up in win10

Hi, I have an alienware 15, and my recon3di seems correctly installed, but I only get stereo capability from the SB control panel. There is no option for 5.1

My drivers are seemingly up to date. what gives?

Thanks in advance

2.3K Posts

December 18th, 2015 12:00

Did you upgrade to windows 10 or did it come with windows 10?  Also if it has jack sensing, it could be unavailable unless all the jacks needed for 5.1 are used, or it could be a glitch with windows 10 or sound blaster.  

3 Posts

December 18th, 2015 14:00

It came with windows 10, nothing is plugged in my jacks.

How would I know if its a glitch?

Thank you for your time :)

2.3K Posts

December 19th, 2015 13:00

Hmm.. so I read a bunch of stuff on the AW15 and it appears that it does not have 5.1 or 7.1 capabilities.  Just output for headphones.  Its possible i'm wrong but I didn't find anything anywhere that said anything about it.  :-(

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 20th, 2015 07:00

Just output for headphones.  Its possible i'm wrong

I found the same thing you did.

Hansem, did you see something that gave you the idea that the Alienware 15 supports 5.1 audio? If you go here you can get the official documentation for the Alienware 15. The "Specifications" document says that the model has a "stereo" speaker system. It does not mention anything about surround sound.

The Dell laptops that have directly supported surround sound had one or both of 2 port configurations:

1. A spdif port to pass a surround signal directly out of the laptop, in a digital format, to a surround decoder.

and or

2. Three audio jack sockets to pass a decoded surround signal to a 5.1 speaker system, where each port carries 2 channels of audio to drive the rear, front, middle and woofer speakers of the system.

I don't see any of that listed for the Alienware 15.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your answers

I must admit that I feel a bit like an idiot, here is the manual of the system I got:

downloads.dell.com/.../alienware-15_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

I took for granted that something as expensive as alienware would come with all top notch gaming equipment. I mean, stereo sound is so 1990....

Bit disappointed I must admit, that a 3,500$ computer does not even support 5.1

anyway, my bad for not reading enough.

Thanks for your time

2.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 13:00

I will admit that i'm surprised they would put a higher end soundblaster card in the laptop just to have 2.0 audio.  I thought that maybe they would have the headphone jack support some sort of 5.1 single cable or something.  I did some looking and you could try poking around here: www.google.com/webhp;ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=2.0+to+5.1+laptop

No Events found!