Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2013 08:00

SCREEN DISPLAY PROBLEM

Hi Everyone

I am currently wondering what is wrong with my Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop screen display

Everything was allright with screen display until yesterday evening.

Now i got like 1/3rd of screen not displaying anything apart from thin stripes currently showing colours of vista wallpaper on my desktop.

Anyone have any clues if that has got something to do with software or anything ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 31st, 2013 08:00

It's a hardware issue - first check:  attach an external monitor.  Does it display OK or is the same fault showing there?

1.3K Posts

October 31st, 2013 09:00

Hi Katie300491,

If you do not have an external monitor to test the display with, you can test the LCD in the System Setup (BIOS). If the same issue is observed on the system setup screen, it is not an issue with the drivers or Operating System.

To enter the computer BIOS Setup Screen perform the following steps:

At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap until the message Entering Setup appears.

Run the Laptop Built-In Self-Test (BIST). To run the Built-In Self-Test perform the following:

• Turn the computer off.
  • Press and hold the D key while pressing the power button. This will start the BIST.
  • The screen will display multiple flashing colors. Look for lines, distortion, or any other video issues you have observed.
  • The laptop will restart when the test is finished

You can also click on this link to troubleshoot display issues on your laptop: http://dell.to/11Pe7Ht

Please keep us posted on the results for further assistance.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

October 31st, 2013 11:00

Well ENJ64

When i plug external monitor i don't get any signal so I am not sure about it, i will try the other one soon and will keep you posted asap if it works

Ermm i have tried plugging external monitor once again tried different one and i do not get any signal from it so i think the monitor input might be not working :(

Well That is basically how it looks at the moment, well i runned the test with key D at first and all colour were displayed correctly without any stripes, well funny thing is you can see side bar through bottom part which is striped slightly and you can actually see the colour of black of the sidebar.

Any ideas what it can be any drivers ? Hmm

someone suggested its not lcd problem that it can be motherboard issue which wonders me a little as i think if there would be motherboard issue that laptop could not turn on, well i don't know what else to do as yesterday evening before i formatted my system disc everything was fine all of sudden after i left my laptop and came back it was like this.

Thank You so much for replies guys :) really appreciate your help

Ohhh sorry guy i plugged external monitor but forgot to hold fn + f8 so i did it now and the external monitor display is totally fine it does not have any stripes or anything so i think ill check latest drivers and try that :) Dell Babita thank you so much for the web link you provided :)

1.3K Posts

October 31st, 2013 13:00

Hi Katie300491,

Thank you for your reply.

If the external monitor display is totally fine, it indicates that the computer graphics hardware is functioning properly and points toward the built-in LCD display as the problem.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through private message by clicking on my Dell User-name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you may contact our Expired Warranty Support Department at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

October 31st, 2013 13:00

Well i tried formatting and installing drivers again searching by service tag but the problem is still there as you can see above on those pictures with a stripe on 1/3rd of my screen display :( ughhh i really dont know what else i could do

No Events found!