Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2017 13:00

SICK OF IT! A number of issues with my Dell XPS 15 9550

Hope someone can help here, I have a number of issues with this laptop and to be honest, I am just about getting sick of it. 

I have done a number of factory resets and reinstalled windows 10 from the recovery partition but I am unable to fix any of the problems listed below. 

1. Power and sleep

The computer shuts down instead of sleep when the lid is closed. I have checked all the power settings a number of times. It just shuts down and does a full boot when lid is opened. Data is lost every single time. I have tried a number of solutions on this forum and other forums, but none of them work. It seemed to be a bios issue with some people, but I am on the latest bios.

2. SSD issues

Samsung magician fails to see the NVME SSD. 

Magician says its an unknown drive and is not supported, even though I booted from it. It is set as RAID in the BIOS, I have tried to set as AHCI and it still shows as unsupported.

3. Touchpad settings have disappeared in win10

After rebuilding the PC from recovery, I can no longer access touch pad settings in the control panel or mouse settings. I have tried to manually install the synaptics drivers, which are successful, but the settings still fail to appear. I also tried to manually remove the devices in device manager as someone suggested in this thread, and that didnt work either. I need to change the touch pad settings asap and I am unable to no matter what I try. 

4. Graphics drivers constantly updating.

After every restart, the dell update utility is constantly trying to update the video drivers even though I have updated them with the same driver. Basically every restart, the drivers are updating with the same driver version. 

Service tag: 

Bios version: 1.2.19

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 08:00

All of these issues do not appear to be hardware malfunctions, more operating system related.

1. You should reset the Power Plan to Balanced (recommended) and retest.

2. We shipped the XPS 9550 with an M.2 SSD that is supported by the Intel software, not the untested Samsung magician. Are you using our M.2 SSD or did you install one after the point of sale?

3. That sounds like the actual Windows 10 install did not load the necessary operating system components?

4. If the GPU driver is the latest, the fault is with our update utility software, not the operating system or the driver. I would simply disable or uninstall our update utility software.

5 Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

1. I will test this out tonight.

2. Are you sure? This is certainly not what I ordered. I ordered the NVME version and not the M.2 version. I have not changed the SSD and that explains why the speed shows a max of 4000MB. This was  miss configured in that case. How do I deal with that? Furthermore, the reason I tested using samsung magician is because it is not the first time I have had a problem with the laptop. THe motherboard has been changed by you guys. To validate the claim, the support engineer asked me to install samsung magician. This is a DELL engineer on the phone. So why do you say its unsupported when your engineers are telling me to use samsung magician?

So this is an issue now, I will need this resolved. it is not what I paid for.

3. I tried 3 times with a recovery partition with the rebuild, every single time I could not see the touchpad options.

4. I will do this tonight.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

I cannot speak to what they said. The drive should be checked using the Intel Rapid Storage software. I see the confusion. You do have the NVME drive, but it is installed in the M.2 slot.

5 Posts

May 4th, 2017 17:00

Chris, can you please clarify what you are asking me to do?

Are you asking me to put the drive in the NVME slot?

I can attempt to do that.

While i think about how best to do this, can you please tell me how to fix this touchpad issue?

5 Posts

May 5th, 2017 00:00

Honestly, I bought my 9550 less than a year ago, and I think I've had it under some weird stupid problem that is really painful to fix than not. It has been software, the battery, the video driver, everything at some point

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

M.2 is a hardware interface -- it can be wired to take an SSD that is  NVMe, SATA or both.  In this case, the 9550 M.2 slot will take an NVMe drive.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

I do not not see a NVME slot on your motherboard? Show me with a picture. I see the M.2 slot. The picture for your model shows that we install the SSD in the M.2 slot.

Not sure about the Touchpad. Ask the Windows 10 users here.

5 Posts

May 8th, 2017 10:00

If the M.2 slot takes the NVME drive, will it operate at NVME speeds? I dont see that. I see 4000MB connection in intel raid manager. Less than Sata 3.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 8th, 2017 10:00

NVMe needs four PCIe lanes for maximum performance - I think you'll find the system is 2-lane for the NVMe drive.  So -- you won't see the best performance you could out of the 9550 (it's just not designed for all-out performance - it's designed to be a slim, highly portable system - the two are at odds with each other).

No Events found!