Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2016 19:00

SMART Threshold Test Failure

Hi. New to the forum, though I have been using Dell products both at work and at home for some time. I recently decided I wanted a small laptop to use at home when I didn't feel like sitting at my computer desk. I purchased and received 3 days ago, an Inspiron 11 3000 2 in 1 laptop. I went through all the set up and everything was hunky dorey. Then I opened the SupportAssist app and ran the 10 minute test. Everything passed except the hard drive. I got a message that the drive had failed the SMART Threshold Test WHD18-ZII. The hard drive is a 32gb eMMC, which, if I understand correctly, a large format SD card. 

Does anyone know what this means? Does the test work on eMMC drives? Can the drive be replaced or upgraded? Is anything else compatible?

I called Dell Support and could barely hear or understand the guy. I was at work and had limited time. For whatever reason, I was unable to connect to my work WiFi. the support person didnt' seem to have a clue what I was talking about and was heading towards having me return the laptop for them to fix. I'd rather get a refund and try again with a new warranty.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 25th, 2016 19:00

It's likely the test doesn't support the SSD -- that said, the answer to the other question is no - that drive is not replaceable.  It's soldered to the system board.  There is no way to install another drive in the system either -- this is basically a clamshell tablet system, not really a notebook PC.

2 Posts

February 25th, 2016 20:00

Thanks for the response. That's what I'm hoping, that the test doesn't apply to the drive. Be nice if Dell would say so. And I know that "laptop" should be tongue in cheek. One of things I like about the product.

No Events found!