viajeroperdido
1 Copper

SOLVED: Dell Touchpad Driver will not install for Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 Series Special Edition (3152)

Jump to solution

Brand new Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 Series Special Edition (3152) with Windows 10 64-bit, but the Dell Touchpad Driver (Version: 19.0.13.0, A00; Synaptics) specified by Dell for this system will not install. Instead, only the generic Windows PS/2 Compatible Mouse (Version: 10.0.10240.16384; Date: 6/21/2006) is shown in the Device Manager.

Driver installation program says the driver was successfully installed, but only the generic Windows driver remains. Forcing the driver to the Dell Touchpad driver only results in an unusable touchpad.

Would like to be able to set gestures, etc. for touchpad, but can't with just the generic driver. Any suggestions?

SOLVED: 
I was finally able to get my Synaptics touchpad working by running the Synaptics 19.0.19.1 64-bit Windows 10 driver setup and then manually updating the driver following this guide:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-touchpad-drivers/ 

(Beforehand, I uninstalled the Synaptics program, stopped the Synaptics processes and services, and deleted the Synaptics files in the Program Files and ProgramData folders. I don't know if these steps are necessary though.)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
khoysagk
1 Copper

RE: Dell Touchpad Driver will not install for Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 Series Special Edition (3152)

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my new Inspiron 11 3000 (3157). Hopefully someone can help. This is really annoying and it seems Dell often puts wrong/incompatible drivers up.

0 Kudos
viajeroperdido
1 Copper

RE: Dell Touchpad Driver will not install for Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 Series Special Edition (3152)

Jump to solution

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised. I spent over a month with Dell Technical Support trying to fix the issue, but they couldn't solve it. They wanted me to send the computer in to check if the touchpad was faulty (which I doubt because I can use it with just the basic touchpad functions); however, I need it for work and grad school at the moment.

Interestingly, they could not confirm that the touchpad driver works on an identical system with Windows 10 pre-installed. They could only confirm that it works on a similar (but different) platform which was upgraded from Windows 8 to 10. I'm not convinced that Dell knows that the Synaptics driver works with Windows 10 on this machine, at least not the technicians I dealt with.

I encourage you to contact Dell Tech Support. If more people do this, then Dell will soon notice that they have a bug that they need to fix.

0 Kudos
khoysagk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I should have known better, I've had problems with their drivers before. In this case (laptop is only 10 days old), I've had the "DPC Watchdog Violation" a few times within the first two days. Then windows updated to the newer version of Windows 10 home and then Windows wouldn't even load anymore. I got the Dell logo but then the screen just stayed black. Then I decided to do a clean install of Win 10 pro and now can't find the right touchpad driver. I have tried the one Dell provided for my particular model and have tried an older one to no avail. I'll be returning this laptop to Best Buy today and going for a different brand.

I like the laptop overall and if I had the correct driver this would not be an issue, but 10 days in and not being able to use it to my liking is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
viajeroperdido
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was finally able to get my Synaptics touchpad working by running the Synaptics 19.0.19.1 64-bit Windows 10 driver setup and then manually updating the driver following this guide:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-touchpad-drivers/

(Beforehand, I uninstalled the previous Synaptics installation, stopped the SynTP services and processes, deleted the Synaptics files from the Programs Files and ProgramData folders. I don't know if these steps are necessary though.)

0 Kudos