Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2016 05:00

SOLVED: INSPIRON 7737 - NVIDIA GT750M disappeared from Device Manager. Is it fried?

Hi Guys,

I have a dual card in this Inspiron. The system OS is WINDOWS 10 upgraded from Win 8 about 6 months ago.

- Intel HD Graphics card

- Nvidia GeForce GT 750M

Last night I tried to install the latest NVIDIA Driver from the nvidia site - v373.06 / upgrading from v372.90 ( up to now I have had no issues with installing drivers on this system from the Nvidia site )

The installation bailed out half way through and in the process made the GT750M disappear from the DISPLAY ADAPTORS section under the Device Manager & the NVIDIA icon disappeared from the system tray, Nvidia disappeared from right click menu desktop.

Now it comes up as UNKNOWN DEVICE under other devices in Device Manager. If I uninstall this and do a hardware scan it still comes up in Other Devices but now as 3D Video Controller with a yellow exclamation mark.

I also notice that my WINDOWS UPDATE now is constantly trying to install "NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M" ... TWICE.

This fails also with errors:

- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - Error 0x80070020
- NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - Error 0x800703fb

I have tried the DDU utility to completely remove residual Nvidia stuff. Done this in safe mode, no internet. Tried installing the last working Nvidia driver v372.90 again but get similar errors to above.

I even tried installing the driver via device manager, right click on 3D Video Controller, Update Driver and browse for driver software, pointing it at the v372.90 driver folder on C: Drive. Again I get an error but this time its:

- "System could not allocate the required space in a registry log"

SO - I am now coming to the conclusion that my NVIDIA GT750m is fried? 

Interested in your opinion on this.

Is their any utility to test this theory? The laptop is working off the Intel card at the moment. 

Also - how the *** do I get at the BIOS?I have rebooted and tried FN + F1 / FN + F12 - no joy. I get Dell logo, try these, then straight to whirly windows icon load thing.

Aidan

October 9th, 2016 10:00

I got almost the same problem as you, exactly after I updated the latest win 10 on Oct. 08 and tried to update my GTX960M driver (my laptop is Dell Inspiron 7559 bought in Japan). Failed on the half way finishing...... I also tried to reset my laptop, and went back to previous win 10 build, but both of them did not work. I guess there is a permanent damage on the graph card?

Miao

21 Posts

October 10th, 2016 05:00

Yip .. thanks MIAO .. Couldnt find a resolution yet.

For some reason Windows Update is trying to UPDATE the non existent NVIDIA Driver constantly. Plus it is trying to do it twice. I have two updates sitting in my Win Update window like so:

NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

It downloads one and fails both with various errors. Thats why i think the card is fried, the fact that windows seems to be seeing 2 nvidia cards to update.

The error is 0x800703fb but I cannot find any real useful info on this for Windows 10. I keep repairing the windows update but same thing.

Have to find out how to disable the Windows update for those NVIDIA drivers next just in case it messes with future general updates.  Also to permanently disable the 3D graphics Card thing under other devices in the device manager.

I dont get how a driver could fry a video card .. thats assuming we are both right that the card is fried.

By the way, I downloaded / ran AIDA64 Extreme utility ( 30 day demo ). That still finds the card and says its fine.

21 Posts

October 12th, 2016 11:00

Hi MIAO

By any chance have you resolved this yet ..

Frustrating

Aidan

4 Posts

October 18th, 2016 12:00

Experiencing the same problem. I've read somewhere that this is a current issue with Windows 10 pushing their own drivers without giving precedence to a vendor provided set, such as Nvidia. Frustrated indeed.

4 Posts

October 18th, 2016 15:00

It's Windows 10:

www.reddit.com/.../

21 Posts

October 19th, 2016 11:00

Hi Anatoly,

I tried what was at your REDDIT link:

"Download the most recent driver/hotfix, and reboot into UEFI and temporarily disable secure boot, install your driver, and reboot to UEFI and enable secure boot."

No Joy.

In fact I now have 2 NVIDIA updates in the windows update Q along with 2 new regular windows updates - they are now all failing. No matter what I do ( even via reg ) I cannot stop WIN 10 from trying to install the NVIDIA Drivers, then failing.

I have also tried repairing the windows update with the MS Tool for same, no joy.

I also forgot to mention that once I originally put on WINDOWS 10 ( upgrade ) the touchscreen stopped working, been that way ever since.

Great fun indeed ... not ... Bits of laptop slowly all failing.

I am not sure it is coincidental that the NVIDIA Card stopped working, drivers diappeared - at the same time I tried to install driver v373.06? Was that the cause OR was it ( at the same time ) Windows 10 acting the maggot ..

21 Posts

October 22nd, 2016 12:00

Good news guys.

I ran the bat file script at this link in command prompt. Download, unzip and right click, run bat file in admin mode.

This does a good cleanout of the update files on your laptop.

Reboot after doing this. Then run windows update and allow it to pickup and install the nvidia driver and any other updates.

This time it installed all, reboot and I have my nvidia card back again at last .. yippee

answers.microsoft.com/.../2e26953d-58c4-4704-b627-4a743e87e15c

Hope this works for you guys. May sort other windows 10 related nvudia issues that are posted here too.

Cheers Aidan

No Events found!