Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2015 08:00

(SOLVED) Studio 1558 | ATI/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470 | Black Screen Problem

Hello, users. First of all, sorry for my english. This post is to tell you my experience with this very know problem and how I solved it.

Computer specifications:

• Dell Studio 1558 (bought in 2010)
  • Intel Core i5
  • 4 GB of RAM
  • ATI/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

Problem:

1. The problem started with the common error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered...".
  2. This was followed by several BSOD, associated to the video card (atikmpag.sys file).
  3. Finally, after a couple of weeks, the laptop screen turned black, but the laptop was still in operation.

Considerations:

1. Is not a display problem.
  2. Is not a driver problem.
  3. Not even a video card problem.
  4. It is a manufacturing problem, where the video card soldering is ruined because of overheating.
  5. DO NOT LET TECHNICIANS TO REPLACE YOUR DISPLAY OR MOTHERBOARD.

Solution:

1. Take your laptop to a specialized technical service, and ask to do a "reballing process", which consists of desoldering, cleaning, and soldering again the video card.
  2. This process requires the correct equipment, which is a high-precision infrared soldering machine. DO NOT LET TECHNICIANS TO USE A HEATING GUN.

Well, this is all I have to tell. I did this process and I have my laptop working better than ever. The costs of reballing, at least in my country, are very low compared to a motherboard replacement. For reballing it is 120 dollars, and for a motherboard replacement it is around 500 dollars.

I'm very dissapointed with Dell about this issue. Hope my comment is helpful.

Regards,

Ignacio Vallejos

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 21st, 2015 09:00

Thanks for posting. This is common problem in older computers that have integrated video or older video cards with no driver updates available for operating system changes and updates. It is a benign problem in most cases and the error message can be ignored. It usually fixes itself. It really doesn't need fixing. You might have spent money unnecessarily.

July 28th, 2015 19:00

Sorry, Mary G. I am afraid you are wrong. My computer is from late 2010 (read specifications) and the problem started in November 2013. It might be old for you, but for me is perfect. Each component is still under support by manufacturers, even though the video card (last update from July 8th, 2015).

• Of course that it is a common problem, but only in THIS LAPTOP MODEL. There are more than 20 entries with this issue.
  • How can you say it did not need fixing? I had no image on the screen, I could not ignore any message.
  • If it did not need fixing, why Dell Support told me to replace my motherboard?

Thanks for your answer, but I think it generates confusion in users.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2016 17:00

Is it working now? Warranty for this job should be one year. My laptop dies again after 9 months. 

No Events found!