Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2009 15:00

SSD .VS HDD Issue

I just purchased 2 laptops. A Dell Mini 10 & a Dell Latitude 2100. The 2100 has a 16G SSD drive where the Mini has a 160G HDD. I just finished loading Win 7 on both and all of the drivers on Dell's site so decided to do some testing.

Both systems boot in about 30 seconds so I am seeing no benefit in SSD

Next I ran IO Meter and see terrible results.

SSD = 40 IO/s with a max I/O response of 1100 ms

HDD = 650 IO/s with a max I/O response of 60 ms

I am so bummed about this. Can anyone tell me if there is maybe a flash upgrade for the SSD? It is a Samsung UM410.

468 Posts

December 31st, 2009 16:00

I doubt there is an upgrade.. you can check support.dell.com to see however.  The big problem is most manufactures do not put high end SSD cards into their computers unless you special order it..  You probably have an SSD with the same type and speed of memory as a midgrade USB stick.  Its unfortunet too because a lot of places do not list read/write times and so forth.

12 Posts

December 31st, 2009 18:00

WOW!. That does makes sense but very much sucks. It teters on the edge of false advertising. SSD in the world of IT is sort of synonymous of fast these days. Like  Intel's 3,300 I/O per second for writes and 35,000 on reads. 40 I/O average is a far cry from that.

I do wonder though, if I added one of Intel's SSD's would it make a massive difference?

468 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 11:00

it should.. intel's have the high end i/o chips onboard.. they are super expensive, however it should work..

No Events found!