Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2017 04:00

SSD and HDD in a Latitude Laptop

I just purchased a Latitude 5580 laptop with a 128 gbyte m.2 ssd. I'd like to add some more storage. Can I put a second SSD or an HDD in this laptop or am I limited to one drive.?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 30th, 2017 08:00

Looking over the Service Manual, while it is indeed strange that the description is so short and doesn't include any diagrams like most of Dell's service manuals, the space inside the laptop for a 2.5" HDD will be very obvious, so I'd just open it up and see what you have there. If you have a bracket and ribbon cable, you're good to go.  If you just have a big chunk of empty space, then hopefully a Dell rep here can give you the part numbers for the bracket and ribbon cable so you can order them through Dell Spare Parts.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 30th, 2017 06:00

It looks like there's space inside for a 2.5" hard drive or SSD (you'll need to check to see whether the mounting hardware is there for the drive - very often systems that ship without drives don't come with the bracket and/or cable necessary to mount the drive.

15 Posts

August 30th, 2017 07:00

Thanks. I'm not sure how to tell if I have the required hardware. The manual describes in detail how to remove and install the SSD, but does a much worse job with the HDD, not even including any drawings to show where it mounts.

No Events found!